10 Questions with ... Josh Venable
January 24, 2012
BRIEF CAREER SYNOPSIS:
I started as an intern in 1993 at The Edge. Worked my way up to Adventure Club host, overnights, nights, and Music Director. I went to Los Angeles when KYSR flipped from "Star." I was there for almost four years before returning to Dallas to take over KDGE as PD.
1. Its not often someone starts as an intern at a major market station and later becomes PD of the station. What excited you most about returning to Dallas to program The Edge?
I've always loved the station. I was the kid who went to every station appearance when I was in high school. The station was already legendary in Texas when I took over; I just wanted the chance to make it even better.
2. What stands out the most from when you first started working at the station?
We don't play Jesus Jones, The Sundays, and The Cure every hour like we did then.
3. What is the most challenging part of the job?
It isn't easy deciding what millions of people in Texas want to hear for sure.
4. What makes KDGE a successful Alternative station?
Our jocks and promotions staff are all amazing at what they do to begin with. I think we have raised the bar on promotions and contests that money can't buy. The Edge has always been spot on with exposing listeners to new music while paying close attention to our heritage bands as well.
5. What makes the station unique?
We are an alt rock station that has been on the air since 1989!
6. What may surprise people about The Edge?
We don't play Saliva anymore.
7. What is most important to you when championing new music for the station?
It has to be good for the market and not just something I dig.
8. How are you using Social Media?
We use Facebook and Twitter to alert listeners to music news, post the newest videos, take requests, increase our database, and drive people to our site. We also post cute cat videos.
9. Fill in the blank: I can't make it through the day without _________?
Dr. Pepper and The Smiths.
10. What do you like best about living in Dallas?
Great record stores and all my friends live here. I grew up here so its home.
What are some of your recent additions to your record collection?
Alkaline Trio - Damnesia on vinyl and The Church-The Blurred Crusade on CD. While not a record exactly, I was given a Morrissey tour pillowcase for Christmas. You read that right.