10 Questions with ... Afentra
October 23, 2012
BRIEF CAREER SYNOPSIS:
WKQI/Detroit, WYCD/Detoit, KNDD/Seattle, and KRBZ/Kansas City.
1. How did you become interested in radio?
Being a waitress wasn't working out for me, either was fronting a band. Radio was the next logical move.
2. Tell us about Afentra's Big Fat Morning Buzz and your cast of characters?
Misfits with a lack of interpersonal skills. Dannyboi, he's the best partner for me and the most socially awkward of us -- funny, brilliant, and needy. Then there's Mark, he's our "producer" (pulls best of, occasionally mans the phones) a less enthusiastic Ben Stein. Then me, I state the obvious and think everyone is out to get me.
3. How would you describe your show?
It's a nice, inviting, and an inclusive (for the most part) train wreck.
4. What makes Afentra's Big Fat Morning Buzz successful?
We enjoy each other and our listeners. We really have the funniest listeners. I should have included them in our cast of characters. The 12th man.
5. What is your show prep routine?
Ignoring our children and sometimes each other while on our iPhones.
6. What is your favorite part of the show?
Really, as much as I love my job, I love getting outta here to play with me boys.
7. What is the wildest thing you've done on-air?
I've done a lot of stupid things, less now that we don't have a consultant.
8. How are you using Social Media?
It's a big part of our show; we have our own circle of friends. We've gotten to know our listeners better and they not only got to know us, they've created friendships amongst themselves. We all over share and laugh together and at one other via social media.
9. Fill in the blank: I can't make it through the day without _________?
Coffee, a particular brand, but they don't advertise, so...f*ck them.
10. What may surprise people most about you?
I enjoy eating a dandelion salad, picked from my own yard.
What are your hobbies?
I have children, so work is my hobby. Prior to that, I was a fan of Marlboro Mediums and mixing my drugs and alcohol.
Last non-industry job?
Waitress for Karas Brothers restaurant in the D. Shout out! Try the Gyro with the RED sauce.
First record ever purchased?
I'm pretty sure it was Thriller.
Donnie and Marie, Michigan State Fair.
Favorite band of all-time?
That's tough... Depeche Mode, Gogol Bordello and all things Jack White.