10 Questions with ... Mark Hamilton
October 29, 2013
BRIEF CAREER SYNOPSIS:
On-air at Top 40 KRKQ/Lompoc, CA in '85; Top 40 KZZP/Phoenix in '86; crosstown Alternative KEYX (The Key) in '87-'88; APD/middays at Alternative KITS (Live 105)/San Francisco from '88-'95; and PD at KNRK '95-present.
1. What stands out the most from 18 years at the station?
The fact we are still here after 18 years! (LOL)
2. What is the secret to 94/7 fm Alternative Portland's success as an Alternative station?
I think mainly because we have defined to the market what 'Alternative' is.
3. Tell us about the station's latest ratings and where the station has shown the biggest ratings growth?
Rather than focus on one month, I'm pleased that when you look at a 12 month rolling average we are #2 18-49 and #3 25-54. No one area has really grown more than anywhere else... consistent across the board.
4. What has been the biggest change at the station over the past year?
Our new Promotion Director Katy Moore, who is a genius regarding all things social media/digital.
5. Explain what makes 94/7 different from most Alternative stations?
Well 9 years ago when we made the change it was the music 'mix' and presentation. No Shine down, Fall Out Boy or My Chemical Romance, instead of the focus being 18-24 guys the 'engine room' became 25-34 Adults who we talked to, rather than yelled at! I still think that is true to a certain extent today.
6. What is most important to you when championing new music for the station?
Well I think our track record on breaking new artists speaks for itself and it is a hugely important 'ingredient' as to what we're about
7. How much are you balancing gut with research when making decisions on new music?
100% gut when it comes to new music.
8. Tell us about the station's December To Remember and how it first originated?
This will be year 8, started out as 2 nights, grew to 3, then 4 and now 12 shows! It seems to get bigger every year.
9. Explain your role in the launch of Entercom's new Alternative station in Buffalo?
Pat Paxton basically had me 'head up' the project working closely with Buffalo GM Greg Ried... so basically everything from the music, imaging, research, etc.
10. What part of your job do you love the most?
That I don't think of it as a job.
What do you enjoy doing in your spare time away from the station?
I love to camp ... Oregon is absolutely spectacular when it comes to the outdoors... The coast, the mountains, lakes, rivers are awesome!