10 Questions with ... Fred Rico
April 15, 2014
BRIEF CAREER SYNOPSIS:
KSJ and KOHT/Tucson, KIKI and KDNN/Honolulu, KOHT, KWFM, KTZR and KXEW/Tucson, XHRM and XHTZ/San Diego, KAJ and KNRJ/Phoenix, and KPOI, KDDB, KUMU and KQMQ/Honolulu.
1. What led to KPOI returning to Alternative?
Just making the station focused and we felt that this genre of music was the best bet in Honolulu.
2. Explain the music evolution that began last Fall with '80s and '90s Alternative?
It goes back to just focusing the station and transitioning to where we are at with KPOI now.
3. Why did you decide to retain "The Rock You Live On" station slogan?
It's rock music. Alternative is a term used when this wasn't the norm in rock music but when it comes down to it, we're playing rock music.
4. Tell us about significance of the KPOI call letters that Ohana Broadcasting picked up 10 years ago?
KPOI for older folks in Hawaii was the station that played Rock music when Van Halen and Motley Crue were big. This is a new generation of Rock but still Rock none the less. You tell somebody in Hawaii you listen to KPOI they know you are a rock person.
5. How would you describe the music and imaging on KPOI?
Fun and hit-driven, starting to mix in new stuff.
6. What do you love most about your job?
The people. You look forward to seeing everyone from your music director to the traffic person to promotions assistant -- it is a great place to be.
7. What may surprise people the most about the station?
The passion for the station, you say something bad it's like somebody called your new born baby ugly.
8. Fill in the blank: I can't make it through the day without _________?
9. What would surprise people most about you?
I don't know, you'd have to ask people.
10. What are your hobbies?
Last non-industry job?
Credit card salesman
First record ever purchased?
I would steal Earth Wind & Fire albums, and Commodores albums from my sister but I think Judas Priest was the first tape I bought.
Stevie Wonder at U Of A McHale Center
Favorite band of all-time?
Rage Against The Machine