10 Questions with ... Darice Lee
August 19, 2014
BRIEF CAREER SYNOPSIS:
Started as a phone screen on the Kevin And Bean Show at KROQ. Then became the Programming Assistant and filled in as producer of Loveline for six months. Left KROQ and booked artists and programmed Alternative and Rock video and radio channels at Farmclub.com. Got my first label job as the LA-based local at V2 Records. I moved to Denver for a year as the Denver-based local for Wind Up. I moved back to LA to be the local for Reprise. I left Reprise to work for Island Def Jam as their local. Just recently joined Columbia.
1. After working as a KROQ intern, how did you become interested in the record business?
I met a lot of great record reps and became interested in what they do. It was a good fit for me, based on my (limited) experience and skill set
2. What led you to Columbia Records?
The next step I wanted to make in my career was to be an Alternative and Rock national. Columbia is a highly-regarded company with several artists I personally like on their roster and it was a perfect fit.
3. How would you describe yourself as a record promoter?
Passionate about music, professional, organized and a joy to be around ;-)
4. Where do you get your greatest pleasure in doing record promotion?
Being a part of breaking a new band/artist.
5. What is the toughest part of your job?
Angry radio programmers!
6. How do you use Social Media?
I like to post photos of shows I'm at, cocktails I'm drinking and cool places I've been to via Instagram and Facebook
7. Where is your favorite market you like to visit and why?
San Diego for the radio people, weather and restaurants
8. What would surprise people the most about you?
9. Fill in the blank: I can't make it through the day without _______?
Listening to music.
10. Growing up in Los Angeles, what do you love most about living in Southern California?
The diversity. I love that there are a lot of people from all over the world.
What are your hobbies?
Finding new music and seeing them play for the first time, traveling to countries I've never been to, reading, drinking/making quality cocktails, yoga, and diving.
Last non-industry job?
Worked as a waitress at Café del Rey
First record ever purchased?
The Cure Standing On A Beach
New Order with PIL and the Sugarcubes
Favorite band of all-time?