10 Questions with ... Scott Burton
November 11, 2014
BRIEF CAREER SYNOPSIS:
Jeff McClusky & Assoc., Elektra Records, Aware Records / A2 Management, Capitol Records, EMI Records, and Sony RED.
1. What stands out the most from your first label gig at Elektra Records?
The quality of people on the promotion team, led by Greg Thompson...some of the best in the business then and now. I learned a lot from those people.
2. What do you love most about working at RED?
The diversity of the different labels we distribute. The people here want to win. The leadership of Bob Morelli, Danny Buch, Alan Becker, Tony Bruno, Liz Snair, Billie Jean Sarullo, all smart, creative and driven. The killer promotion team of Tommy DeBenedictis, Ellena Osis, John Souchack, Emma Applebome, Roland West and Jennifer Liss, I love going to battle with these guys every day.
3. What may surprise people the most to learn about the company?
How deep and fine-tuned we are in every aspect of the music business. Marketing, Sales, Promotion, Digital, Social, we have quality people in all areas. I was awestruck when I walked in to the NY Sony RED offices.
4. Where do you get your greatest pleasure in doing record promotion?
Still love getting those phone calls, e-mails, texts that say, "We're putting in your record."
5. As a promotion person, what are the most important tools in your arsenal?
Relationships, trust, and knowing when to put that to the test.
6. What are you most proud of from 2014?
Catfish And The Bottlemen, Chet Faker, Cold War Kids, Colony House, Courtney Barnett, Dirty Heads, Nothing More, Ingrid Michaelson, Lucius, The Lone Bellow, and Wild Cub.
7. What is the toughest part of your job?
I have about 17 hats I wear. Getting things done under those 17 hats every day is a tough thing.
8. Where is your favorite market you like to visit and why?
New York, Austin, love the Pacific Northwest, and Grand Rapids.
9. What would surprise people the most about you?
I love to cook???
10. What do you like best about living in The Windy City?
The food, the beer, the fact that there are 10 million people that live here and that about 100 work in the music/radio/concert community and we all know each other.
What was the best live show you saw this year?
It's been a great year for shows so don't know if I can pick one, Jack White, Lollapalooza, off the top of my head. Some of the acts I'm working with right now are some of the best live performers I've ever seen and I mean that as a music geek and not a record guy. I'm really looking forward to my vacation in Mexico with My Morning Jacket's One Big Holiday 4 day festival.