10 Questions with ... Ron "Crash" Kissell
March 10, 2015
BRIEF CAREER SYNOPSIS:
I started working in radio when I was in high school at WMLN/Curry College in Milton, Massachusetts as a community volunteer. I attended Curry College and had an air shift all four years. While at Curry I interned for WBMX in Boston and ended up working there as the Promotions Assistant and a Board Op. I ended up trading in my snow boots for flip flops and moved to Myrtle Beach. I started off at WKZQ as a Street Team Member and Board Op and showed interest in being on-air. I ended up doing a weekend shift for three years and later was asked to do nights. I'm now Music Director/Middays, see dreams do come true!
1. What stands out the most from your college radio days and what hooked you to a radio career?
I caught the Radio bug at a young age. I started college radio in high school and worked in many different departments learning as much as I could hope that I would someday land my dream job in radio. I loved the freedom of picking the music for my show and got asked often for mixtapes. My show was a mix of Rock and Dance music. Looking back I'm shocked that it worked but it did!
2. What was your favorite station to listen to growing up and what do you remember most about the station?
Growing up in Boston my favorite station was WBCN which sadly is no longer on the air. I was drawn to the music and energy of the station. They also had Howard Stern who I admire. I think he's an amazing interviewer!
3. What do you love most about working at WKZQ?
WKZQ is allowing me to live my dream. This is my first fulltime job in radio. I have been working in radio since college but always part time. So pretty much I like everything. This is the first job I have ever had where it doesn't seem like a job.
4. What is the most challenging part of your job since being promoted to MD?
Learning you don't have to play every song the labels ask you to!
5. What are music meetings like at WKZQ?
I listen to music all day long and enjoy finding new music. Kinard, my PD, does the same and we meet every Monday morning and look at chart movement and review new artists together.
6. How would you describe yourself as an air personality?
I try to be myself. I'm a Boston boy trying to live it up down south.
7. How did you get the nickname Crash?
I got it because I'm clumsy. I'm like a Bull in a china shop. Once you meet me you'll get it!
8. After this winter, I guess you don't miss living in Boston too badly. What do you miss most about Boston and what do you like best about living in Myrtle Beach?
I miss the culture and tradition. I'm not saying it doesn't exist here in Myrtle Beach; it's just different in Boston. I miss being able to go to Fenway and Gillette to see a game or to Lansdowne Street to check out a show. The thing I like most about living down in Myrtle Beach is the weather. Its nice come visit!
9. Fill in the blank: I can't make it through the day without _________?
Music! Sounds cheesy coming from someone in radio but it's true. I always have music in my head.
10. What would surprise people most about you?
I once got peed on by a lion at a zoo and now I'm his Bitch!
What are your hobbies?
I like to paddleboard, mountain bike, and camp -- pretty much anything outdoors.
Last non-industry job?
I recently worked at a Paint store
First record ever purchased?
Beastie Boys - Licensed To Ill
Favorite band of all-time?
Red Hot Chili Peppers