10 Questions with ... Lazlo
April 28, 2015
BRIEF CAREER SYNOPSIS:
I was the first one to go on-air at WPLA in Jacksonville. Then went to WIIS/Key West, WBUZ (The Buzz)/Toledo, WKRK (K-Rock)/Detroit, WYCD/Detroit, KRBZ/Kansas City, KNDD/Seattle, and here we are again at KRBZ.
1. What did you learn growing in the Motor City listening to Mike Halloran on the radio?
That radio people can be real people. Not just deep voices back selling records.
2. Take us back to when you first started at The Buzz as night jock in 2002. What stands out the most?
I distinctly remember KC legend Bill Rusch saying, "Kansas City is different. If you keep saying God damn on the air you won't be here long."
3. How would you describe yourself as an air personality and tell us what makes your afternoon show, The Church Of Lazlo successful?
I don't know how to describe the show. It's a look at life through our lens. Personal stories. Good and bad. We share our lives even if it's to our own detriment. We are story tellers.
4. Your wife is the anchor of Afentra's Big Fat Morning Buzz. How do you make that work professionally and personally?
It's easier than most might think. I obviously think she is wildly funny or I wouldn't have married her. We both are working towards the same goals. We know there is no bullshit. No hidden agenda. I assume that would be refreshing for most morning shows.
5. How would you describe yourself as a programmer?
Again describing yourself is tough. You're better off asking others. I do feel like I'm a player's coach. Much closer to the staff than management.
6. You love to talk about how The Buzz breaks bands in Kansas City. I hear you even have Buzz t-shirts that say, "We break bands." Tell us about all the new music you play on The Buzz from your afternoon weekly mail feature to how you're breaking bands in your market?
Breaking bands is a group effort. It takes help from the labels and managers and agents. It takes a city to realize how important that can be. It takes a station that is willing to take chances and make mistakes. We break bands isn't the buzz patting itself on the back. It's truly WE.
7. What are music meetings like at the station?
We don't have music meetings. Music doesn't hit you at 2pm on a Thursday. That's absurd. Send me a link when you hear something great. Bust into my office and make me listen to it.
8. What is the impact of each annual Buzz Festival?
This year's Beach Ball with Alt-J and AWOLNATION (two bands we championed first) coming to KC and selling 18k tickets should be quite spectacular.
9. When did you make a change in nights? Who is Hartzell?
It's part of my job to encourage people to go be awesome! Sammy our night person left for NY to do just that. It's also part of my job to have smart people ready to step up. Hartzell is that smart person.
10. What may surprise people most about you?
That I'm answering these questions on my phone while playing a heated battle of Smash Bros against my youngest son.
What is a typical weekend like with you, Afentra, and the kids?
Like everyone else...Life can be brutal. Play more.
How many games will the Kansas City Royals wins in 2015?
Just enough to sneak into the playoffs.