10 Questions with ... John Moschitta
June 9, 2015
BRIEF CAREER SYNOPSIS:
WXDX PD since November 1997, PD of WDVE since January 2001. WQXA/Harrisburg, PA PD from 1995-1997. Z100 New York Marketing & Promotions from 1993-1995. WDRE/Long Island Marketing & Promotions from 1990-1993. WRCN/Long Island from 1987-1990.
1. How did you become interested in radio?
Totally fell into it in college at SUNY/Geneseo. Fell in love with it.
2. You've spent almost 18 years working at WXDX. What do you love most about your job?
Seeing something, whether it's music we introduce or a promotion we do, connect with the audience and knowing we had a hand in it becoming successful.
3. What would an outsider find most surprising about the Pittsburgh radio market?
How good it is. There is an incredible amount of talented people that I'm fortunate enough to work with who could be in major markets.
4. Why has WXDX been a successful Alternative station?
We are very in tune with the audience's wants and needs and do a pretty good job on delivering what they want to them.
5. How would you describe yourself as a programmer?
Analytical, tactical, give the talent who work for me freedom and leeway to succeed (and fail sometimes).
6. What makes the station unique?
I don't think there's another station in the country that does the alternative rock mix like we do, has a 3 hour sports talk show in afternoon drive and is the flagship for a NHL hockey team.
7. What is the one truth that has held constant throughout your career?
I'm a tough add.
8. What do you like best about living in the Steel City?
Small town feel with all the big city amenities.
9. Fill in the blank: I can't make it through the day without _________?
10. What would surprise people most about you?
Last non-industry job?
Worked in a kitchen in a restaurant in the Hamptons.
First record ever purchased?
The Knack - Get The Knack
Fleetwood Mac/Tusk Tour
Favorite band of all-time?
Today... it's the Replacements