10 Questions with ... Mike Kaplan
May 10, 2016
BRIEF CAREER SYNOPSIS:
PD/OM in Monmouth/Ocean NJ, KC, Nola, Seattle and L.A.
1. Congrats on ALT 98.7's best ratings ever! Tell us about ALT 98.7's historic March '16 PPM Monthly Nielsen Audio ratings.
Thanks Shawn. It's been gratifying. We've had an uber focused strategy on how to become the #1 Alternative station in L.A. So grateful for the patience and resilience of our entire team along the way.
2. What has led to ALT 98.7's ratings growth and what are you most proud of from the station's milestone ratings?
When you have a solid game plan that's implemented precisely and a team around you that supports the vision - you thrive.
3. How significant is it for ALT 98.7 to surpass KROQ for the first time ever?
It's symbolic for all of us who have been part of the process. However we know there's plenty of opportunity ahead and we need to continue to build upon these early wins.
4. Tell us what the impact has been for The Woody Show since they signed for mornings on ALT 98.7 two years ago?
Huge! We're thrilled for The Woody Show. I don't know of another morning show in the country that preps like this group. All the brilliance in that room, the continued dedication to perfection, and true respect for each other is finally paying off like we knew it would.
5. Where has ALT 98.7 seen the biggest growth overall in the past year?
The entire station from top / down is seeing significant growth. In most demos we're up 30% year-over-year.
6. Let's chat about the music. How do you decide what to feature on ALT 98.7 Best Music Discovery EVER... This week and how do you gauge whether to graduate a song to regular rotation?
Harms and I get together weekly to discuss what we're liking and come to a common place. We try to time out the featured songs with the overall marketing plan of our management and label partners, if we both agree the track is a fit for our listeners.
7. What are music meetings like at the station?
Pretty loose. There's not a ton of movement on the ALT charts so when there is room we usually discuss the metrics from what we've seen on a recent music feature, look at the latest release from a core artist, listener feedback or chat about anything else we've discovered from the ethers.
8. After working at Entercom for so many years, how different is it working at iHeartMedia?
I've been fortunate to work the majority of my career for two of the best audio focused companies anywhere. At iHeart one of the key differences is the breadth of resources at our disposal. Not just the tangible tools but the depth of intellectual knowledge. So many great minds available to collaborate at any time.
9. How would you describe yourself as a programmer?
Passionate and dedicated to winning.
10. What is your favorite part of your job?
Being part of a brand that connects with fans and clients universally. The uniqueness of our content, whether it's The Woody Show or talent like Harms (in PM-drive), is truly special. We're collectively creating a powerful entertainment option that makes a difference in people's lives. And that's rewarding.
Fill in the blank: I can't make it through the day without _________?
What do you like most about living in L.A.?
Traffic. It's great for TSL.
What do you miss most about growing up on the East Coast?
Real Italian food.
Its baseball season so let's wrap up with a bold question about your favorite team. How many games do you think the Philadelphia Phillies will win in 2016?
Depends how many starts Aaron Nola makes....