Bits and Pieces - May 31, 2011
May 31, 2011
Yesterday was Memorial Day. President Obama participated in a wreath-laying ceremony while former California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger participated in a housekeeper-laying ceremony.
SEAN KINGSTON is recovering from a nasty jet-ski crash. Sean and a female passenger crashed into a Miami Beach bridge on Sunday evening. The woman was reportedly just shaken up, but Kingston was hurt pretty bad, but has now been upgraded to the ICU. One guy who jumped in the water to rescue them says Kingston was responsive and even spoke during the rescue, but he had a nasty gash on his neck and was puking up blood out of his mouth. They were also having trouble keeping him above water because of his size and because he'd partly slipped out of his life jacket. Initial reports say alcohol was not a factor. (See and hear rescuer here)
THE HANGOVER PART II set records for the best opening of all time for a comedy at the domestic box office and for any R-rated film in its first five days. Yes, there already is buzz about a third Hangover flick and they're talking about having it set in Amsterdam.
- The California state agency that oversees coastal development has again recommended denying permission for a controversial cluster of mansions overlooking Malibu. The proposed project is being spearheaded by U2 guitarist THE EDGE.
- NICKI MINAJ has released the video to her song 'Did It On Em.' Nicki premiered the video on her MyPinkFriday.com website and Tweeted: "Just a way of saying thank u. I love u guys. Thank u for coming out. U guys gave me LIFE on the 'I am still music' Tour. xo4Life."
- After winning "American Idol" on Wednesday, SCOTTY MCCREERY is already at number-32 on the country charts with "I Love You This Big." That's the highest debut for a new artist's first single since the chart converted to its current data collection method in 1990.
- Today: "The Legend of Messy M'Cheany"; chef Bobby Flay; singer Jordan Knight
- Good Morning America: TBA
- CBS Early Show: TBA
- Regis & Kelly: Kevin Bacon; Scotty McCreery performs
- The View: TV host Wayne Brady
- Ellen DeGeneres: Rob Lowe; comic Jack Whitehall; Ashlyne Huff performs.
Ohio State coach Jim Tressel has resigned over the scandal in which he allegedly covered up his players' NCAA violations. Defensive coordinator Luke Fickell will coach the Buckeyes this season.
I can't believe it's not battery! Collier County, Florida's 49-year-old Dawn Elizabeth Rhash got into an argument with her roommate about what food was hers and what was his. The argument escalated to the point where Dawn hurled a stick of butter at her roommate, who then called police. Cops arrived to find the victim had butter on his ankle and, yes, they also found that Dawn had a "strong odor of an alcoholic beverage coming from her person and facial area."
1941: The first issue of the Sunday newspaper magazine "Parade" went on sale
actor Clint Eastwood (Million Dollar Baby, Dirty Harry, Gran Torino) 81