Bits and Pieces - June 3, 2011
June 3, 2011
Sukanya Roy, a 14-year-old eighth grader from Pennsylvania, won the National Spelling Bee. Unfortunately, she's being accused of using performance-enhancing alphabet soup.
Weinergate has taken an interesting turn as New York Congressman ANTHONY WEINER finds himself allegedly connected to porn starlet GINGER LEE. On March 1st, Ginger Tweeted, "I want to have sexual relations with Anthony Weiner." On March 13th, she Tweeted: "You know it's a good day when you wake up to a [direct message] from @RepWeiner." Last month, Ginger Tweeted she'd come down with a case of "Weinermania!" and drew a heart on a picture of him with the caption, "You're the only Weiner I need." Finally, last Friday, Ginger Tweeted: "Whoa. I get a dose of Anthony Weiner live before I go to work tonight. Weiner before work, me likey." Incidentally, Weiner is married to Hilary Clinton's aide Huma Abedin.
New Movies In Theatres...
X-Men: First Class - The superheroes are back in a prequel to prevent nuclear Armageddon. Starring James McAvoy, Rose Byrne, Kevin Bacon and Jennifer Lawrence. (PG-13 for brief strong language, some sexuality and a violent image)
- This is strange. For some reason U2'S BONO was walking around in the rain in Vancouver earlier this week. Edmonton Oilers player Gilbert Brule and his girlfriend were driving to a park to walk their dog when he recognized Bono. At first she didn't believe him, but he convinced her to turn around and pick him up. Bono thanked them with tickets and backstage passes to his show in Edmonton.
- Stop me if you've heard this before...the release date for LIL WAYNE'S "Tha Carter IV" has been pushed back. The latest release date is August 29th. Lil Wayne's MTV "Unplugged" performance is still on for June 12th.
- JO DEE MESSINA'S June 25th concert in Pittsburg, Kansas has been turned into a benefit for tornado victims in Joplin, Missouri. Jo Dee will donate proceeds from that show to the local Red Cross.
- Today: New Kids on the Block and Backstreet Boys perform; Bethenny Frankel
- Good Morning America: The Go-Go's perform
- CBS Early Show: TBA
- Regis & Kelly: Ewan McGregor; TV host Mike Rowe; chef Francis Anthony
- The View: Guest co-host Niecy Nash
- Ellen DeGeneres: Jamie Foxx; actor Isaiah Mustafa; Jessie J performs
The judge overseeing the mediation between the NFL and the players has cancelled next week's sessions because of ongoing settlement discussions between the two sides. However, there's still no indication of any progress.
After a night of having too much to drink, most people struggle to get moving. Such was not the case for Smithfield, Pennsylvania 24-year-old Bruce Balsega Jr. Police found Bruce passed out in his own vomit on the steps of a local building. However, when they called paramedics to come check him out, Bruce took off running. After two escape attempts, police were finally able to subdue Bruce after five shots of Taser, a dose of pepper spray and a police dog.
1851: The New York Knickerbockers became the first baseball team to wear uniforms
newsman Anderson Cooper 44