Bits and Pieces - June 16, 2011
June 16, 2011
The Boston Bruins beat the Vancouver Canucks to win hockey's Stanley Cup championship. It's just as well. After all what do Canadians care about hockey?
While HUGH HEFNER seems to be pretty bummed about his split with fiancee CRYSTAL HARRIS, she seems to be enjoying doing the media rounds. Crystal says they sat down and talked it over last weekend and made a mutual decision to call the wedding off. She says she'd been having second thoughts for some time and that Hefner was only marrying her because he thought that's what she wanted and that he seemed relieved when they decided to call it off. However, supposed insiders say he's heartbroken and one unnamed friend said Hefner "Will die of a broken heart." However, the bad timing awards goes to Playboy magazine as Crystal is the July cover model and is billed as Mrs. Hefner. However, last night Hefner Tweeted that part of her photo would be covered by a big, red sticker reading: Runaway Bride In This Issue.
HBO is developing a new comedy series based on the book The Viagra Diaries that would star GOLDIE HAWN. It's about a woman who struggles with being single for the first time in 35 years after her husband leaves her at the age of 65.
- JOSS STONE says she's doing okay after police arrested two men apparently planning a kidnap/murder plot against her. The men were arrested near her Devon, England house with swords, rope and a body bag after neighbors reported suspicious activity to police. Joss wasn't home at the time and cops said the men also had detailed maps and aerial photos of her place.
- Dexter Isaac, a longtime associate of James "Jimmy Henchman" Rosemond, now claims he was involved in the robbery and shooting of TUPAC SHAKUR two years before he was murdered and that Rosemond hired him for the job. Rosemond currently manages The Game and Sean Kingston, among others. Last month he turned himself in on drug charges and dropped the dime on Isaac.
- TAYLOR SWIFT has gotten inked! No, she didn't get a tattoo, but Taylor has taken to using a Sharpie pen to write song lyrics from other artists on her arm. The lyrics on Taylor's person change from show to show.
- Today: Jim Carrey ("Mr. Popper's Penguins"); chef Paula Deen; author Sarah Maizes ("Got Milf?"); actress Angela Lansbury
- Good Morning America: Ryan and Tatum O'Neal; TV host Keith Olbermann
- CBS Early Show: Talk, News
- Regis & Kelly: Jim Carrey; Michael Bolton performs; co-host Michelle Beadle
- The View: George Stephanopoulos; Chaka Khan performs
- Ellen DeGeneres: Hayden Panettiere; Khloe Kardashian and Lamar Odom
The Boston Bruins defeated the Vancouver Canucks 4-0 in game seven to win the Stanley Cup championship. Boston goaltender Tim Thomas won the Conn Smythe trophy as the series MVP.
A couple of unnamed young women in Alton, Illinois bragged on their Facebook page about how they'd just won a monetary settlement in a court proceeding. This was big news to all of their Facebook friends, including the two armed men wearing bandannas that burst into their home and held them at gunpoint. Luckily the settlement money was tucked away in a bank and the masked intruders only got away with some personal belongings.
1961: Soviet ballet dancer Rudolf Nureyev defected to the West
actress Missy Peregrym (Rookie Blue, Reaper, Life As We Know It) 29