Bits and Pieces - June 17, 2011
June 17, 2011
New York Congressman Anthony Weiner resigned yesterday. Weiner says he wants to spend more time sending lewd photos to his family.
HUGH HEFNER says he didn't foresee CRYSTAL HARRIS dumping him and that he's still confused by what went wrong. As for Crystal, after writing on her website asking for privacy, she made another stop on her media tour, getting weepy and telling Entertainment Tonight that Hefner proposed too soon. Of course, they'd been dating for nearly two years at the time and this is the third or fourth excuse she's come up with. Meanwhile, Crystal's BFF Anna has been offering her support to Hefner, as have Girls Next Door stars Holly Madison, Kendra Wilkinson and Bridget Marquardt. Hefner says, "The outpouring of support and affection from so many quarters is really touching."
DAVE CHAPPELLE is reportedly returning to TV...sort of. Chappelle is planning to do some sort of show on a paid online service such as Netflix or Hulu. No other details as of yet. He bailed on his highly successful Comedy Central show five years ago before dropping out of sight.
- It probably shouldn't come as a major surprise, but Forbes' new list of the 25 highest-paid musicians has U2 atop the heap with $195 million. BON JOVI was second with $125 million; ELTON JOHN third with $100 million; LADY GAGA fourth with $90 million and MICHAEL BUBLé rounding out the top five at $70 million. (See the entire list here)
- BONE THUGS-N-HARMONY'S BIZZY BONE is under investigation for allegedly beating up two fans after a concert last week in Chicago. The two male fans told police they paid $80 each for a meet-and-greet on their tour bus, but got a meet and beatdown. The men were bruised and one said he had a broken nose.
- CARRIE UNDERWOOD, KELLIE PICKLER and SHANIA TWAIN have been nominated for PETA's Sexiest Vegetarian Celebrities of 2011. They're all previous winners, with Shania taking the title in 2001, Carrie in 2005 and Kellie in 2009. You can cast your vote at PETA's website.
- ABC: A Shark Tank rerun, plus a new Jamie Oliver Food Revolution and 20/20
- CBS: Flashpoint, CSI: NY and Blue Bloods reruns
- Fox: Bones and House repeats
- NBC: A Friday Night Lights repeat plus two new Datelines
- CW: Smallville and Supernatural reruns
Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals, in which the Boston Bruins defeated the Vancouver Canucks, earned the highest television rating for an NHL game in 37 years. That was the best since a Boston-Philadelphia game in 1974.
A drunken driving case will go to trial next week in Fairfax County, Virginia. But, this is no ordinary DUI case. The defendant is accused of being under the influence while driving 85 mph, while having sex with a female partially or totally in the backseat of the car. The defendant was convicted last year, but now claims that he wasn't driving, nor was the other man with them in the car at the time.
1861: President Abraham Lincoln witnessed Dr. Thaddeus Lowe demonstrate a hot-air balloon.
singer Barry Manilow 65