Bits and Pieces - July 5, 2011
July 5, 2011
Yesterday was July 4th. Last night, all around the country, fireworks were going off like Mel Gibson at a bar mitzvah.
In case you missed it, MARIA SHRIVER filed for divorce from ARNOLD SCHWARZENEGGER on Friday after 25 years of marriage. Shriver cited the usual "irreconcilable differences" as the cause for the split, although we pretty much know the real reason. Maria is asking for spousal support and joint custody of their minor children and since there was no pre-nup, they'll split their assets down the middle and that could amount to hundreds of millions of dollars. Meanwhile, Maria has reportedly been offered a $15 million-plus advance to write a tell-all book.
The new "TRANSFORMERS" movie has made $181.1 million since opening last Tuesday and when you count its international take of $217 million, it's already made nearly $400 million in less than a week.
- U2 was wrapping up their show in Nashville when BONO saw a blind fan holding up a sign saying he wanted to play a song for his wife. Bono asked him what he wanted to play and the answer was 'All I Want Is You.' Bono got him a guitar and began singing with him and they were soon joined by the entire band. Afterwards, Bono even gave him the guitar! (See and hear here)
- WILL.I.AM could've become a Blackened Eye Pea! Will.i.am was one of 1,500 guests and staffers who were forced to flee London's Park Lane Hilton when a blaze broke out in a second-floor kitchen. No injuries were reported.
- For the first time in her career, TAYLOR SWIFT had to postpone a concert. Taylor had to bail on Saturday night's sold-out show in Louisville when she got sick and doctor's ordered her not to perform. No word on what the illness was, but she rescheduled the show for October 11th.
- Today: Gymnast Dominique Dawes; gossip columnist Rob Shuter
- Good Morning America: News and entertainment
- Regis & Kelly: Kevin James; actress Rose Byrne
- The View: Joan and Melissa Rivers
- Ellen DeGeneres: Jennifer Lopez; actress Rosie Huntington-Whiteley; Stevie Nicks performs
Albert Pujols could be back in the St. Louis Cardinals' lineup as early as tonight. It was originally thought his broken left wrist would keep him out another month.
Philip A. Contos was among a group of about 550 motorcyclists staging a protest ride against New York's motorcycle helmet laws. The 55-year-old Contos probably has a different opinion of those laws now. Well, he probably would, if he were alive. It seems that Contos got into an accident during the ride, went over his handlebars, hit his unprotected head on the pavement and died. Police say Contos likely would have survived the accident if he'd been wearing a helmet.
1946: The bikini swimsuit made its debut at a fashion show in Paris
actress Katherine Helmond (Soap, Who's the Boss, Coach) 77