Bits and Pieces - July 25, 2011
July 25, 2011
Yesterday was the first day gays could legally marry in New York. They say it's the biggest day for gays in New York since the Broadway premiere of Mama Mia.
AMY WINEHOUSE died on Saturday at the age of 27. A security guard hired to keep an eye on her found her dead in bed and called 911. Some reports say paramedics found signs of life when they arrived at her London home, but she died before they could take her to a hospital. An autopsy will be performed today, but until then officials are saying people shouldn't jump to conclusions about the cause of death. However, Amy's battles with substance abuse are well documented and her mother says she seemed out of it on Friday. Also, British tabloid Sunday People reported Amy was seen buying narcotics, believed to include cocaine, heroin, ecstasy and the horse tranquilizer ketamine, known as "Special K," from a dealer shortly after 10.30pm on Friday. With her death, Amy joins what's become known as the Forever 27 Club, along with fellow musicians Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Jim Morrison and Brian Jones, who all died at the age of 27. Amy made her final public appearance last Tuesday in London, dancing on stage with her goddaughter, Dionne Bromfield, as she performed at the iTunes festival. (See and hear here)
Apparently CORY MONTEITH, LEA MICHELE and CHRIS COLFER won't be leaving GLEE after next season. While they will graduate, they'll apparently stay on the show, at least on a part time basis. There was talk about doing a spinoff series with the characters moving to New York and trying to make it on Broadway, but that won't happen, at least for now.
- Former NIRVANA drummer CHAD CHANNING plans to hit the studio with his new band, Before Cars, by late summer or early fall. Channing is looking at getting an album out late this year or early next.
- FLO RIDA has been hit with a paternity suit by a woman named Gloria Halloway, but he claims the kid is not his son. Flo took a paternity test last month that ruled him out, but he took it under an assumed name to protect his identity and Gloria's lawyer smells a rat.
- TAYLOR SWIFT has donated $250,000 dollars to Nick's Kids, which is an organization helping rebuild the west Alabama area after last April's devastating tornadoes.
- Today: Actor Daniel Craig; actor Don Cheadle; Aretha Franklin performs
- Good Morning America: Soccer players David Beckham and Thierry Henry; singer Katy Perry; TV personality Heidi Klum
- Regis & Kelly: Heidi Klum; actress Jayma Mays; co-host Neil Patrick Harris
- The View: Model Crystal Harris; actress Audra McDonald ("Private Practice")
- The Talk: Actress Megan Mullally
- Ellen DeGeneres: Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen; singer Michael Grimm
The NFL Players' Association will reportedly vote today to accept the owners' contract offer. Players will then report to training camps Wednesday and vote to recertify as a union.
The marriage of one unnamed 35-year-old Cleveland man got started off on the wrong foot. After getting drunk at the reception, the groom started fighting with his stepson. Police were called to quiet the ensuing brawl and, luckily, our friend had a loving bride to intervene on his behalf. She told the cops they should just haul his no-good-ass away. The groom spent his wedding night in jail and the story ends with the police report noting: "The groom passed out in his cell, soiled himself and was charged with disorderly conduct while intoxicated."
1946: Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis performed their first show together in Atlantic City
actor Matt LeBlanc (Friends, Joey, Charlie's Angels) 44