Bits and Pieces - July 27, 2011
July 27, 2011
New York Yankee star Alex Rodriguez is 36 today. You can tell it's A-Rod's birthday because before today's game he plans to inject himself with cake.
The funeral for AMY WINEHOUSE was held yesterday. Aside from family, attendees included producer Mark Ronson and Kelly Osbourne, who wore her hair in a beehive as a tribute. Among those not in attendance was Amy's ex-husband, Blake Fielder-Civil, who's in jail and was denied compassionate leave. The funeral has caused a bit of a controversy as it was a traditional Jewish ceremony, even though Amy was cremated before she was buried and was covered in tattoos, which are two major violations of Jewish law. In any case, Amy's father, Mitch Winehouse, said his daughter was at a good point in her life when she died, adding: "Knowing she wasn't depressed, knowing she passed away happy makes us all feel better." He also said Amy was no longer dependent on drugs and had gone three weeks without a drink. However, that may be glossing things over. One person who was inside Amy's apartment said, "It looked like a bomb site" and "She really appears to have lived out her final days and hours in squalor and misery." She also reportedly had a recent fight with boyfriend Reg Traviss and word is that London police aren't ruling out suicide. (More on Amy in Music Notes)
KALEY CUOCO will host the TEEN CHOICE AWARDS on Fox on August 7th. SELENA GOMEZ will perform and JUSTIN BIEBER and KIM KARDASHIAN are among those expected to appear, with more names to be announced.
- The U2 documentary From the Sky Down, about the making of their 1991 album Achtung Baby, will premiere at the Toronto International Film Festival on September 8th. U2 will release an expanded reissue of the album later this year.
- If you believe the National Enquirer's Mike Walker, then RIHANNA was recently spotted with DRAKE at Wicked Wanda's Adult Emporium in Ottawa, Canada. Rihanna reportedly spent over $1,000 on handcuffs, a riding crop/whip, bustier, pasties, boots, edible undies, collar and leash, spandex hood and a chocolate penis! When the salesperson told her: "Have fun," she replied, "I always do!"
- Reports say 70 fans were arrested at BRAD PAISLEY'S upstate New York concert on Saturday. Most were for underage drinking and Brad later Tweeted a link to the story and said, "Quite a performance in Darien Lake Saturday. We also played music."
- Jay Leno: Chris Tucker; hand-fishermen Skipper Bivins and Trent Jackson; Vanessa Carlton performs
- David Letterman: Craig Ferguson; Anna Calvi performs
- Jimmy Kimmel: Director Jon Favreau; Olivia Wilde; Chris Young performs
- Conan: Actor Kevin Connolly; Funeral Party performs
- George Lopez: Kate Walsh; Wrestler "The Miz"; Austin Brown performs
- Jimmy Fallon: Neil Patrick Harris; author Fran Lebowitz; They Might Be Giants
- Craig Ferguson: Actress Mary McCormack; golfer David Feherty
- Carson Daly: Musician Grace Potter; Lykke Li and School of Seven Bells perform
The New York Giants are talking about bringing back troubled wide receiver Plaxico Burress. He was released from prison last month after serving a nearly two-year sentence on a weapons charge after shooting himself in a nightclub. The team wants to see where Burress is mentally before making any decisions.
If you thought your HMO was bad...An unnamed 63-year-old Glendale, California man is in a Los Angeles hospital after undergoing a hernia operation. What makes this odd is that our friend stuck a butter knife in his stomach in an apparent effort to perform the surgery himself. Police officers found the man naked on a backyard lounge chair with a six-inch-knife handle sticking out of his stomach. Before paramedics arrived, the man pulled out the knife and stuck a cigarette he was smoking into the wound. He was later placed on a 72-hour psychiatric hold.
1996: A bomb exploded at Olympic Park in Atlanta during the summer Olympics
actor Jonathan Rhys Meyers (Alexander, Match Point, Mission Impossible 3) 34