Bits and Pieces - August 1, 2011
August 1, 2011
President Obama announced that he and congressional leaders have agreed to a debt ceiling deal. However, the deal must be approved by NFL players.
A British tabloid says AMY WINEHOUSE was preparing to adopt a 10-year-old girl from the island of St. Lucia just before her death. Amy spent a lot of time on the island in the last few years and the girl, named Dannika Augustine, says she was living in poverty with her single mom when Amy took an interest in her. Dannika tells The Sunday Mirror, "Amy was already my mother. I would call her mum and she would call me her daughter. She took care of me and we had fun together... She was the most amazing person and I was looking forward to living with her here or in London. I cannot believe she is gone. This is the worst thing that ever happened to me." Dannika's grandmother says she spoke to Amy a few weeks ago and that Amy planned to return to St. Lucia next month and said there was no doubt in her mind she would be completing the adoption process. However, they didn't say whether any paperwork was ever started.
One person who won't be competing on DANCING WITH THE STARS is Dallas Mavericks star SHAWN MARION. He turned them down because he wants to be ready to go as soon as the NBA lockout ends.
- U2 wrapped up their 360 world tour in Canada on Saturday night. Along the way they made more than $736 million from over 110 tour dates and played to 7.2 million fans, making it the highest-grossing tour of all time.
- SNOOP DOGG has launched the inaugural season of his youth football league in Chicago. Snoop says it's about giving kids a positive release for their energy and introducing them to role models.
- TIM MCGRAW and DWIGHT YOAKAM will appear in the movie "Dirty Girl." It's about an Oklahoma high school girl with a sleazy reputation, who leaves home with a boy to search for the father she never met. The movie opens this Friday.
- Today: James Franco; reality-TV stars Jill Zarin and Ramona Singer
- Good Morning America: Musician Jon Bon Jovi
- Regis & Kelly: Colin Farrell; actress Ashley Fink; teacher "Science Bob" Pflugfelder; co-host Josh Groban
- The View: Dana Delany; author Danielle Steel; Lady Gaga performs
- The Talk: TV-show host Craig Ferguson; actor Esai Morales
- Ellen DeGeneres: Seth Rogen; reality TV star Deena Nicole Cortese; Bruno Mars performs
The New York Jets have signed Plaxico Burress to a one-year, $3 million deal. Burress was released in June after 20 months in prison.
Seymour, Indiana's John Newcomb was pulling a trailer with his pickup truck when he sideswiped a parked vehicle and crashed into a tree. Not surprisingly, when police arrived, they arrested the 38-year-old Newcomb on DUI charges. However, it wasn't just the alcohol leaving Newcomb red-faced. It seems he is, or perhaps was, Seymour Police Officer John Newcomb, who's the School Resource Officer, responsible mentoring students and warning them about the dangers of drinking and driving. If fans of irony aren't already woozy, Office Newcomb was pulling the Drug Abuse Resistance Education trailer when he crashed.
1981: MTV made its debut.
musician Adam Duritz (Counting Crows) 47