Bits and Pieces - August 2, 2011
August 2, 2011
The House approved a deal to raise the nation's $14.3 trillion debt limit. To put $14.3 trillion in perspective, it's almost as much as Paris Hilton spends in an afternoon on Rodeo drive.
BACHELORETTE ASHLEY HEBERT chose New York construction manager J.P. Rosenbaum over California winemaker Ben Flajnik on last night's season finale. J.P. proposed and Ashley accepted and while the Bachelor/Bachelorette franchise doesn't have a very good track record, insiders say Ashley and J.P. may be an exception. The finale was taped back in May and the two have only been able to see each other a few times at a private home in L.A. since then.
We already know who the big winner is on the next season of AMERICAN IDOL. That would be JENNIFER LOPEZ, who reportedly just agreed to a new one-year deal to return to the judge's table for just over $20 million.
- It looks like there's still trouble in the KINGS OF LEON kingdom as they've canceled the rest of their U.S. tour. The official reason is that Caleb Followill is suffering from vocal issues and exhaustion. Unfortunately, the U.S. dates can't be made up due to the band's international tour schedule.
- DRAKE hosted his annual OVO Fest on Sunday night in Toronto. Among the surprise guests were STEVIE WONDER, NAS, J. COLE and LIL WAYNE. (See and hear here)
- LUKE BRYAN will kick off the 10th annual CMT on Tour event with LEE BRICE, JOSH THOMPSON and CMT's Next Superstar winner Matt Mason on September 15th in Huntington, West Virginia.
- ABC: Wipeout and Combat Hospital are new, plus the premiere of the new game show Take the Money and Run (People hide money and are interrogated by cops - if they keep the secret, they keep the cash)
- CBS: NCIS, NCIS Los Angeles and 48 Hours Mystery repeats
- Fox: Hells' Kitchen and Master Chef are new
- NBC: It's Worth What and America's Got Talent are new
- CW: 90210 and Shedding for the Wedding repeats
Seven-time Pro Bowl wide receiver Randy Moss is retiring from the NFL. Moss' agent said he had several offers, but decided to call it quits.
An unnamed 28-year-old Florida man walked into his neighbor's apartment and threatened him. Police arrived to find the man wanting to fight his neighbor because he had slept with his girlfriend. As you might guess, our friend admitted to police that he'd been drinking Natural Light and vodka. Fans of irony will raise a glass when they hear the incident occurred in the town of Niceville.
1921: A jury in Chicago acquitted several former White Sox players in the Black Sox scandal
actor Peter O'Toole (Venus, Troy, Lawrence of Arabia) 79