Bits and Pieces - August 10, 2011
August 10, 2011
After taking a 634-point dive on Monday, the stock market rose nearly 430 points yesterday. The stock market is behaving more erratically than Charlie Sheen.
It looks like Bachelorette winemaker guy Ben Flajnik may have traded up from ASHLEY HEBERT. Among those watching the show and falling for Ben was JENNIFER LOVE HEWITT! After Ashley rejected Ben, Jennifer Tweeted: "Omg! Ben f except my final rose!!! I love that ring. Neil lane u rock!! Happy for Ashley....Gotta book a flight to Sonoma !!!:):) Actually, Jennifer booked a flight to San Francisco for a date with Ben. That was on Saturday and on Sunday she Tweeted: "Morning lovelys! I got lost in the most amazing sat! Just when you think u can't be surprised....You are and it's awesome!"
There's buzz that JANUARY JONES may get written out of "MAD MEN" because of her pregnancy. A source said she hasn't been at script read-throughs with the rest of the cast and that "the fate of Betty Draper is yet to be decided." Of course, this comes from Britain's not always reliable Daily Mail.
- AEROSMITH bassist TOM HAMILTON is recovering after undergoing "radical" cancer surgery. He was diagnosed with cancer of the tongue back in 2006, but was declared cancer-free following radiotherapy. However, Hamilton confirmed earlier this year that the cancer had returned, and had also spread to his throat. The surgery was said to be a success with no reports of damage to his voice or breathing passage.
- TINIE TEMPAH won't have much down time in the near future. In addition to performing on the festival circuit, he's working on an EP with Big Sean, Chris Brown and others. He's also working on his second full-length album and has been in the studio with Pharrell and is hoping to get Usher and Adele to contribute.
- The new video for TAYLOR SWIFT'S "Sparks Fly" will be released this afternoon at 5:30 pm Eastern. You can catch it at Taylorswift.com, Facebook.com/taylorswift, Myspace.com/taylorswift, Youtube.com/taylorswift and BigMachineRecords.com.
- Jay Leno: Joel McHale; actress Viola Davis; Ximena SariÝana performs
- David Letterman: Shia LaBeouf; comic Bert Kreischer; Dawes performs
- Jimmy Kimmel: Jesse Eisenberg; talk show host Jerry Springer; Incubus performs
- Conan: Actor Aziz Ansari; Mike "The Situation" Sorrentino; Keb Mo performs
- George Lopez: Jessica Alba; actor David Koechner; Ellie Goulding performs
- Jimmy Fallon: Nicole "Snooki" Polizzi; sportscaster Joe Buck; comic Tig Notaro
- Craig Ferguson: Howie Mandel; explorer Wendy Booker; The Goldberg Sisters
- Carson Daly: Actor Ben Schwartz; director Duncan Jones; Biffy Clyro performs
Penn State coach Joe Paterno was released from the hospital yesterday, following a collision with player at practice that injured his shoulder and hip. Paterno is expected to be at practice today.
When you're underage and drinking at a house party, it's best not to call attention to yourself. This would've been good advice for Southside, Alabama's 18-year-old Andrew Hank Stabler. When police responded to a noise complaint, they found Stabler and a pal drinking. Stabler ran, but cops soon caught him, cuffed him, and placed him in their patrol car. When Stabler complained the cuffs were too tight, police took him out of the car, at which point he made a run for it and jumped into the Coosa River. Stabler quickly discovered it's not easy to swim with handcuffs and soon went under. Luckily, cops were able to pull him out of the river and throw him in the tank.
1921: Franklin D. Roosevelt was stricken with polio
actress Rosanna Arquette (Pulp Fiction, The Whole Nine Yards, The L Word) 52