Bits and Pieces - August 12, 2011
August 12, 2011
The Republican presidential candidates had a debate in Iowa last night. The candidates clashed on all of today's important matters such as the economy, jobs and Kim Kardashian's wedding.
It was a scary day for Nickelodeon star MIRANDA COSGROVE yesterday as she broke her ankle when her tour bus crashed in Illinois. Miranda's mom was also banged up and the bus driver is in critical condition after a piece from the semi went through the windshield and sliced through his arm. Miranda is crediting the driver with saving her life because it was pitch black when they came upon the overturned semi on the road. Instead of swerving and possibly overturning the bus, the driver hit the brakes and struck the semi head on.
MELANIE MOORE was crowned the winner of SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE last night. It came down to Moore and Sasha Mallory in the first all-female finale in the show's eight seasons. Moore wins $250,000 cash and a sponsorship deal.
- AEROSMITH'S STEVEN TYLER is introducing a "rocker inspired" clothing line called Andrew Charles. The menswear is based on Tyler's own style, while the women's outfits are said to be influenced by Stevie Nicks. Look for it at Macy's starting next month.
- Forget "Watch the Throne," KANYE WEST needs to watch his step. During a performance at Norway's Bergen Calling festival this week, Kanye fell on stage and it looked like it hurt! (See and hear here)
- When TAYLOR SWIFT wraps up her world tour at the end of the year, she'll celebrate by going on vacation and she's taking her crew along with her! Taylor says they usually choose somewhere beautiful and tropical, but haven't started planning the trip yet. Wherever it is, Taylor can likely afford it since she's surpassed Paul McCartney as the top concert ticket seller of the summer.
- ABC: A Shark Tank rerun and the new show Karaoke Battle USA
- CBS: Flashpoint is new; CSI: NY and Blue Bloods are reruns
- Fox: NFL pre-season football with the Buccaneers at Chiefs
- NBC: A new pair of Friends with Benefits and Dateline episodes
- CW: Nikita and Supernatural reruns
Steve Stricker leads the way with an opening round 63 at the PGA Championship. Stricker could've become the first player to shoot 62 in a major championship had he sunk a 10-foot birdie putt on his final hole. As for Tiger Woods, he started strong with three straight birdies before the wheels fell off and ended with a 77. That was his worst round ever at the PGA, leaving him 14 strokes off the lead, tied with 57-year-old Jerry Pate, among others.
Bringing new meaning to the term 'jet stream' was inebriated 18-year-old Jet Blue passenger Robert Vietze. As he stumbled toward the lavatory, he thought he had reached his destination and began to relieve himself. He was wrong and Robert later said, "I was drunk, and I did not realize I was pissing on her leg." The leg in question belonged to a sleeping 11-year-old girl. When the girl's father emerged from the lavatory and caught Robert midstream, flight attendants had to separate the pair. If that weren't enough clean up for one flight, another man on the plane began complaining about chest pains before he eventually vomited.
1981: IBM unveiled its first PC.
actor George Hamilton (Love at First Bite, Where The Boys Are, The Man Who Loved Cat Dancing) 72