Bits and Pieces - August 18, 2011
August 18, 2011
An al-Qaeda website has called for the death of David Letterman. The last time Dave had a death threat issued against him it was by his wife after she caught him cheating.
Actor GERARD DEPARDIEU has pissed off City Jet Airlines. As his flight from Paris to Dublin was preparing to take off, an apparently drunken Depardieu announced, 'I need to piss.' He got up, presumably to go to the lavatory, only to be told by the flight attendant he'd have to wait about 15 minutes for the plane to take off and reach a safe altitude. Apparently that wouldn't do for Mr. Movie star and he peed right there in the aisle. Depardieu sat back down and the plane returned to the terminal to be cleaned. While anyone else would be arrested for a stunt like that, the airline later sent out a Tweet saying, "As you may have seen on the news, we are busy mopping the floor of one of our planes this morning...We'd also like to remind all passengers that our planes are fully equipped with toilet facilities."
A few months back, word supposedly went down from ABC brass to get some real stars on DANCING WITH THE STARS. Apparently someone didn't get the memo because the latest name in the rumor mill is GEORGE CLOONEY'S ex-girlfriend ELISABETTA CANALIS. She supposedly signed on, but no official announcement will be made until the August 29th episode of Bachelor Pad.
- KINGS OF LEON'S JARED FOLLOWILL sent out a Tweet this week saying, "I just got married in Ibiza. Witnessed by @dougc2001 & Cassandra Marie. Please welcome Mrs. Stephanie Followill. Now going on my honeymoon!" It turned out to be a prank as Jared later Tweeted: "About to take off for NY. Just saw my last tweet. Looks like @dougc2001 got me again. Have to start locking my phone. Still on the market."
- The Los Angeles County sheriff's department says THE GAME won't face criminal charges after a Tweet from his account incited a flood of phone calls that jammed the emergency phone system at one of its police stations. The Game first said someone hacked his Twitter account, but later called it a "joke gone wrong."
- MARTINA MCBRIDE'S new video for "I'm Gonna Love You Through It" debuted yesterday. The inspirational song about going through cancer features appearances by everyday people and the famous, who've either battled the disease or know someone who has, including "Good Morning America" anchor Robin Roberts, Sheryl Crow, Katie Couric and "Today" anchor Hoda Kotb.
- Today: Anne Hathaway discusses the movie "One Day"
- Good Morning America: TBA
- Regis & Kelly: Anne Hathaway; Nicole Scherzinger performs; co-host Cat Deeley
- The View: Actress Edie Falco; singer Toni Braxton
- The Talk: Tori Spelling and Dean McDermott; actress Barbara Eden; guest co-host Jerry O'Connell
- Ellen DeGeneres: Jessica Alba; actor Ken Jeong
Carolina Panthers coach Ron Rivera says Cam Newton will start Friday night's preseason game against the Miami Dolphins. However, the coach says he hasn't decided who will start their regular season opener against Arizona.
On her Twitter page, Houston's Allison Hiromi describes herself as opinionated, extroverted and feisty. She's also apparently a cry baby. While at Houston's Down House restaurant, Alison called the bartender a 'twerp' and a 'jackoff' on Twitter. A manager who wasn't on duty that night happened to see the Tweet and called in to the restaurant and asked that the phone be handed to Alison. When Alison got on the line, the off-duty manager 86'd her from the place and she reportedly left in tears.
1966: The first pictures of earth taken from moon orbit were sent back to the U.S.
actor Andy Samberg (Saturday Night Live, Friends With Benefits, I Love You Man) 33