Bits and Pieces - August 30, 2011
August 30, 2011
MTV says Sunday night's Video Music Awards was its most watched ever, with some 12.4 million people tuning in. In fact, MTV was so excited that they say they might start playing music videos.
The smoke monster wasn't as tough as one female bus driver for former Lost star MATTHEW FOX. He was at some bar in Cleveland and tried to get a ride back to his hotel on a private party bus. The female driver blocked the entrance and told Fox he couldn't get on. The driver says Fox then started punching her crotch and breast and she responded by hitting him in the mouth, giving him a bloody lip. Fox was handcuffed by police, but was released to a friend and not arrested. The driver says she plans to press charges.
The DANCING WITH THE STARS cast was announced last night. As usual, most of the leaks turned out to be accurate as DAVID ARQUETTE, basketball player RON ARTEST, CHAZ BONO, former George Clooney girlfriend ELISABETTA CANALIS, reality star KRISTIN CAVALLARI, CNN host NANCY GRACE, ROB KARDASHIAN, former Queer Eye host CARSON KRESSLEY, RICKI LAKE, soap star J.R. MARTINEZ, CHYNNA PHILLIPS and soccer player HOPE SOLO will compete. The show premieres September 19th with the first elimination the next night.
- LIAM GALLAGHER is still threatening to sue his brother NOEL GALLAGHER for saying Liam's "hangover" caused them to pull out of the V Festival in 2009, which ultimately led to the group's breakup. Noel has since admitted that his brother had laryngitis, but Liam apparently wasn't satisfied with his apology. Liam says it's not nice suing your family but he still wants an apology.
- T.I. will reportedly be released from the Forrest City Correctional Facility in Arkansas tomorrow, after spending 11 months in prison for a parole violation.
- RAY PRICE will fill in for LORETTA LYNN at her annual show at her ranch in Hurricane Mills, Tennessee this Saturday. Loretta is still recovering from knee surgery, which caused her to cancel a number of shows.
- ABC: A Wipeout rerun; Take the Money and Run and Combat Hospital are new
- CBS: NCIS and NCIS Los Angeles repeats
- Fox: Glee and Raising Hope reruns
- NBC: It's Worth What and America's Got Talent are new
- CW: 90210 and Shedding for the Wedding repeats
- ESPN2: U.S. Open tennis
The Indianapolis Colts activated Peyton Manning off the physically unable to perform list, meaning he's now eligible to practice with the team. However, that practice will be very limited and the Colts mainly activated him because if they hadn't done so now, he'd have been forced to sit out the first six games.
Elizabeth Genevieve Null has been charged with stealing more than $300 in merchandise from Anything Green Hydroponics in Penn Valley, California. Null was long gone before store security saw her stuffing items into her handbag on surveillance video. Null even left the store once to empty her handbag inside her car, before returning to steal some more. However, she got a little greedy on her second trip when she stopped to fill out a raffle ticket for a promotional giveaway next month. Store co-owner Shela Claar said, "She (gave us) her name, her phone number, her address. Brilliant."
1996: An expedition to raise part of the Titanic failed when the lines snapped.
tennis player Andy Roddick 29