Bits and Pieces - September 20, 2011
September 20, 2011
The season premiere of Two and a Half Men was on last night and Charlie Sheen's character was killed off. It was pretty realistic. Charlie's character died when he fell in front of a speeding hooker.
DANCING WITH THE STARS kicked off its new season last night and DAVID ARQUETTE had estranged wife COURTENEY COX and their daughter Coco to cheer him on from the studio audience. Courtney tells USA Today, "We're both really dear friends despite being separated. We're both very involved with each other's lives." Meanwhile, ABC has beefed up security for CHAZ BONO because they're afraid he could be the target for what they call 'crazies.' As for last night's debut, Chynna Phillips and J.R. Martinez had the highest scores with 22 points. One star will be eliminated tonight.
LESTER HOLT will replace ANN CURRY as host of DATELINE NBC when it begins its 20th season on Friday. Holt will continue to co-anchor the Weekend Today show and Curry will continue as co-anchor with Matt Lauer on Today.
- RADIOHEAD will be the guests on a special one-hour edition of The Colbert Report next Monday night. Radiohead will perform four songs from their album, "The King of Limbs," and the unreleased track, "The Daily Mail." They'll also perform on this weekend's season premiere of Saturday Night Live.
- RAY J and FABOLOUS were the undercard at the Floyd Mayweather - Tito Ortiz fight. After Ray J performed "One Wish" before a club crowd to celebrate Mayweather's win, Fabolous joked about the performance on Twitter. Fab Tweeted: "Nah but Floyd saying we havin a concert in my living room & the camera cuts to Ray J singing 'One Wish' on the piano had me in tears!!" Ray J says he punched Fabolous after he said 'don't touch me.' Ray says police briefly detained him, but he wasn't arrested, although he was 86'd. (See and hear here)
- RANDY TRAVIS will be honored for his 25 years in country music and becoming a Grand Ol' Opry member on Tuesday, October 4th. Travis will perform at the Opry with some of the artists who appear on his newest CD, "Anniversary Celebration," including CARRIE UNDERWOOD, JOHN ANDERSON, JOSH TURNER, GENE WATSON and others.
- ABC: Dancing With the Stars and the season premiere of Body of Proof
- CBS: NCIS and NCIS Los Angeles season premieres and the new Poppy Montgomery - Dylan Walsh crime drama Unforgettable
- Fox: Glee and Raising Hope season premieres and the new Zooey Deschanel sitcom New Girl
- NBC: Biggest Loser returns, plus a new Parenthood
- CW: 90210 and Ringer are new
New York Yankees closer Mariano Rivera recorded his record-breaking 602nd save yesterday in his team's win at home against the Twins. Rivera passed Trevor Hoffman for the all-time record.
Greeley, Colorado's Juan Gonzales Jr. allegedly broke into the home of a woman, who awoke to see Juan standing at the foot of her bed. As she screamed, Juan grabbed her cell phone and fled on foot. We might not be talking about the 22-year-old Juan right now had he not begun texting one of the woman's friends and even sent the phone's rightful owner a friend request on Facebook. Police said they used the cell phone signal to help track Juan down and arrest him.
1946: The first annual Cannes Film Festival began in the French Riviera
actress Kristen Johnston (3rd Rock From The Sun, Austin Powers, Bride Wars) 44