Bits and Pieces - November 1, 2011
November 1, 2011
Rihanna was hospitalized in Sweden with a case of the flu and Tweeted a photo showing her arm hooked up to an IV. It could be worse. She could've been hooked up to the IV by Michael Jackson's doctor.
If you guessed that 72 days was how long the KIM KARDASHIAN and KRIS HUMPHRIES marriage would last, step up and claim your prize! Kim filed for divorce yesterday, citing irreconcilable differences. She issued a statement saying, "After careful consideration, I have decided to end my marriage. I hope everyone understands this was not an easy decision. I had hoped this marriage was forever but sometimes things don't work out as planned. We remain friends and wish each other the best." It sounds as if it was news to Kris as his statement said, "I love my wife and am devastated to learn she filed for divorce. I'm committed to this marriage and everything this covenant represents. I'm willing to do whatever it takes to make it work." The tabloids had been buzzing for weeks about trouble in the marriage, although it was denied by all. The couple wasn't seen together very much and when they were together, they didn't look too happy. They were also often seen without their wedding rings but, ironically, Kris was photographed yesterday with his ring on while with his family in Minnesota. Kris has been spotted in the company of various women in nightclubs recently and Kim reportedly had lunch with ex-boyfriend Reggie Bush in New York last weekend.
Last night on DANCING WITH THE STARS the contestants were in costume for Halloween. Ricki Lake dressed as Little Red Riding Hood as she and wolf partner Derek Hough led the way with a 53. Nancy Grace and partner Tristan MacManus brought up the rear with a 44. In the group dances "Team Tango" with David Arquette, J.R. Martinez and Nancy Grace scored a 23 while "Team Paso Doble" with Ricki Lake, Hope Solo and Rob Kardashian received a 26.
- COLDPLAY'S CHRIS MARTIN says the global recession inspired their new album Mylo Xyloto and that he and the band are angry with the people who caused the financial crisis. Martin also said that some people question the soulfulness of Coldplay because they've done okay, adding: "I always feel like the big bad outside world just f**king hates us."
- KERI HILSON is reaching out to that fan that jumped onstage, put his arms around her and tried to kiss her. The guy was punched and dragged away by bodyguards and Keri thinks they were a little too rough on the guy. Keri fired off several Tweets, saying: "To the guy who ran on stage & stole a kiss, I love you too. Didn't appreciate how u (you) were handled. But next time, enjoy from the audience"
- KELLIE PICKLER will release her third album, called 100 Proof, on January 24th. The album will include her latest single, "Tough."
- ABC: Last Man Standing, Man Up, Dancing with the Stars (Justin Bieber; Boyz II Men; Christina Perri perform) and Body of Proof are new
- CBS: NCIS, NCIS Los Angeles and Unforgettable are new
- Fox: Glee, New Girl and Raising Hope are new
- NBC: Biggest Loser and Parenthood are new
- CW: 90210 and Ringer are new
- ESPN2: College football with Northern Illinois at Toledo
- Versus: Hockey with the Ducks at Capitals
St. Louis Cardinals manager Tony La Russa announced his retirement just three days after winning the World Series. However, La Russa said he plans to stay in baseball in some capacity. La Russa retires as the third-winningest manager in history during a 33-year managing career and one of only two managers to win World Series titles in both leagues.
North Devon, England's Andrew Hamilton found out the hard way that smoking is bad for you. During a night out, Andrew got into a drunken confrontation with another person and received a knock-out punch. As an ambulance was taking Andrew to the hospital he regained consciousness and became agitated. The paramedics agreed to Andrew's request that they pull over so he could get out and have a cigarette. Unfortunately, as Andrew enjoyed his smoke, he walked into the road and was struck and killed by a car.
1611: Shakespeare's romantic comedy The Tempest was first presented at Whitehall Palace in London
actor Penn Badgley (Gossip Girl, John Tucker Must Die, Easy A) 25