Bits and Pieces - November 11, 2011
November 11, 2011
Today is Veteran's Day. Today is the day we honor our servicemen and women for laying down their lives by giving them free cheesy bread from Little Caesar's.
ASHTON KUTCHER caused an online uproar when he went on Twitter yesterday to comment on the firing of Penn State coach Joe Paterno. Ashton Tweeted: "How do you fire Jo Pa? #insult #noclass as a hawkeye fan I find it in poor taste." No word on whether Ashton finds cheating on Demi Moore in poor taste, but perhaps he was unaware of the accusations that Paterno failed to report a child molester on his coaching staff. Ashton later deleted his post, apologized and called himself an 'idiot,' but it was too late for his 8-million-plus followers, who posted such responses as: "Maybe try reading a newspaper or watching the news before making such dumb*** tweets? There's an idea, Einstein..." Ashton says from now on he'll run his Tweets by his media team before posting.
It didn't take long for the Oscars to find a new host after EDDIE MURPHY bowed out. Go-to guy BILLY CRYSTAL will step in and host the Academy Awards for the ninth time. Billy Tweeted: "Am doing the Oscars so the young woman in the pharmacy will stop asking my name when I pick up my prescriptions."
- Assuming that VAN HALEN reunion does happen, don't look for SAMMY HAGAR to be a part of it. Hagar says he hasn't been invited as of yet and if he were asked he'd probably turned it down. Aside from his commitments with Chickenfoot, Hagar said that if Eddie is in the same condition he was the last time he saw him, Sammy says he doesn't want to step onstage with him.
- R. KELLY'S autobiography, "Soula Coaster: The Diary of Me," has been pushed back to next spring, however Kelly has released his first track since his throat surgery. The song is called "Shut Up" and he disses everyone who doubted his prognosis or career during his July tonsil emergency. (Hear here)
- LAUREN ALAINA will perform the national anthem before the Detroit Lions - Green Bay Packers game on Thanksgiving Day.
- ABC: Extreme Makeover: Home Editions and 20/20 are new
- CBS: A Gifted Man, CSI: NY and Blue Bloods are new
- Fox: Kitchen Nightmares and Fringe are new
- NBC: Chuck, Grimm and Dateline are new
- CW: Nikita and Supernatural are new
- ESPN: College hoops Carrier Classic: Michigan State vs. North Carolina
- ESPN2: College football with South Florida at Syracuse
Penn State receivers' coach Mike McQueary will not attend tomorrow's final home game. McQueary is the person who claims he witnessed Jerry Sandusky and a young boy in the Penn State locker room in 2002 and reported it to Joe Paterno. However, he's come under fire for not notifying police.
Some people feel really stupid after they pay a couple hundred bucks for an iPad from a stranger in a parking lot, only to get it home and discover that they've purchased a piece of iPlywood. Stupid was recently ramped up in Yorkshire, England when a luckily for his dignity unnamed 31-year-old man bought his bargain iPad from a stranger. In this case our dimwitted friend got his purchase home only to discover he'd paid $300 for a bag of potatoes.
1981: Fernando Valenzuela became the first rookie to win baseball's Cy Young Award
actor Leonardo DiCaprio (The Aviator, Titanic, Gangs of New York) 37