Bits and Pieces - November 21, 2011
November 21, 2011
Regis Philbin did his final TV morning show on Friday. There wasn't a dry eye in the studio when Regis bid an emotional farewell to his paychecks.
Word has it that a sworn statement from the captain of the boat that actress NATALIE WOOD was on the night of her drowning back in 1981 was what led authorities to reopen the case. Authorities say that neither Wood's husband, ROBERT WAGNER, nor actor CHRISTOPHER WALKEN, who was with them that night, are suspects. Police who investigated the incident at the time also say the celebrities' status had nothing to do with an alleged cover up. In any case, it seems as if everyone remotely connected to the case is coming out of the woodwork to put their two cents in...
There's long been talk of an ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT movie, but this news comes out of left field. The TV show will make a comeback with new episodes on Netflix starting in 2013.
- BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN AND THE E STREET BAND will tour the U.S. and Europe next year and also have a new album on the way. Dates for the tour and album have yet to be announced, but it'll be their first time on the road without saxophonist Clarence Clemons, who died in June from complications of a stroke.
- DADDY YANKEE is being sued by a concert promoter who claims the rapper bailed on 10-date concert tour in Argentina just two days before the first gig. The promoter is seeking $820,000 plus damages for pain caused in his personal and professional life, including his eyeballs bleeding from the stress.
- MARTINA MCBRIDE will host the annual CBS special, "A Home for the Holidays." The show is to encourage adoption and will include stories from celebrities and non-celebrities about how adoption has enriched their lives. Look for it on December 21st.
- Today: Betty White ("Betty & Friends"); chef Giada De Laurentiis; actress Marlo Thomas; Rascal Flatts perform; actress Penelope Ann Miller;
- Good Morning America: Jason Segel ("The Muppets"); actor Nathan Fillion ("Castle"); Florence and the Machine performs
- Kelly: Jason Segel; chef Jamie Oliver; co-host Jerry Seinfeld
- The View: Ben Kingsley; chef Cat Cora; Sherri answers viewer calls
- The Talk: Mary Steenburgen; actor Christopher Gorham
- Ellen DeGeneres: NFL star Drew Brees and wife, Brittany; science enthusiast Steve Spangler
Tony Stewart won the NASCAR season finale in Miami by 1.3 seconds over Carl Edwards and clinched the Sprint Cup championship. They finished tied atop the standings, but Stewart won the tie-breaker by having more victories. After the race it was revealed that Stewart had fired crew chief Darien Grubb last month.
Today's unfortunate choice of wardrobe award goes to New York's Kevin Daly. The 22-year-old Kevin recently crashed into a car. Unfortunately that car was a police cruiser, which was out on a drunk driving patrol in order to catch intoxicated drivers like Kevin. Kevin was arrested on DUI charges and picked up the not-so-coveted award as he posed for mug shots while wearing a T-shirt emblazoned with the words "I'm a drunk."
2010: Jimmie Johnson won an unprecedented fifth straight NASCAR championship.
football's Troy Aikman 45