Bits and Pieces - January 24, 2012
January 24, 2012
The Republicans held another debate last night and this time Mitt Romney came out swinging. Meanwhile, Newt Gingrich came out in favor of swinging.
The dirt is starting to come out on the HEIDI KLUM and SEAL split. TMZ says Heidi got fed up with his temper and that it was a long time in coming and she was worried that it was affecting their children. There were also career issues as she's become an uber-rich entrepreneur and he has a new album coming out and is about to launch an international tour. They also say there were no third parties involved. Seal showed up for his scheduled taping of Ellen's show yesterday and even talked about the split. The show will air today. Incidentally, Seal was still wearing his wedding ring and some are saying the split could help sales of his new album.
JENNIFER LAWRENCE and Academy president Tom Sherak will unveil this year's OSCAR nominations in 10 of the 24 categories at 8:30 a.m. Eastern this morning. The trophies will be handed out on February 26th on ABC.
- NICKELBACK has apparently gotten fed up with getting trashed. The band, or someone Tweeting on their behalf, is firing back at the haters on Twitter. When one guy Tweeted that he had "an aneurysm and violently s**t myself at the same time" upon hearing a Nickelback song on the radio, they responded: "I bet it was the best day you've had in a while." To the woman who Tweeted "Nickelback makes me want to chop my ears off," they replied, "Did you do it yet?"
- KANYE WEST was booed by fans at Australia's Big Day Out festival over the weekend after he went on nearly an hour late. Soundgarden also had a problem with Kanye because his sound check interfered with their performance. However, organizers are urging people to "stop picking on" Kanye because heavy rain caused problems with the equipment, which delayed his set
- KELLIE PICKLER has a new album out next Tuesday, called 100 Proof. Kellie Tweeted of recording the new album, "I jumped, not giving a s**t whether my parachute opened or not."
Primetime: (Schedules altered due to State of the Union Address)
- ABC: Last Man Standing, Modern Family and Celebrity Wife Swap reruns
- CBS: NCIS, Big Bang Theory and Rules of Engagement repeats
- Fox: A Glee repeat
- NBC: Biggest Loser and Dateline are new
- CW: 90210 and Remodeled are new
- ESPN: College hoops with Michigan at Purdue
- ESPN2: Australian Open tennis
- NBC Sports: Hockey with the Wild at Avalanche
Penn State will hold public viewings for former football coach Joe Paterno on campus this afternoon, evening and tomorrow morning. A private family funeral will take place tomorrow and a memorial service will be held Thursday. Flags at all Pennsylvania state facilities will be lowered to half-staff in honor of Paterno.
Three unnamed people were killed when they survived a car crash in Plantation, Florida. Yes, that does deserve an explanation. Two women in their 20s were involved in a single-car collision with a tree. A second driver stopped to check to see if they were okay. It turns out that the women were okay until all three decided to assess the situation while standing in the middle of the roadway. That's when another motorist arrived on the scene and fatally struck all three of them.
1922: Christian K. Nelson of Onawa, Iowa, patented the Eskimo Pie
actor Ernest Borgnine (McHale's Navy, The Wild Bunch, Ice Station Zebra) 95