Bits and Pieces - May 16, 2012
May 16, 2012
Jeopardy host Alex Trebek says he'd like to moderate a presidential debate. The problem with Trebek moderating a debate is that the candidates would have to lie in the form of a question.
Modern Family star SARAH HYLAND is going to have to come up with a pretty amazing Father's Day gift! That's because Sarah has revealed that after a lifelong battle with kidney dysplasia, she underwent a life-saving transplant last month, getting the new kidney from her dad. Her actor boyfriend Matt Prokop has been helping her with her medication and taking her to doctor appointments and Sarah says the experience has opened her eyes to see who's there for her and who's not.
NBC is doubling up on THE VOICE. Earlier this week, it was announced that the show would be moving to the fall and now they say it'll still air in the spring as well, meaning it will go head-to-head with both The X Factor and American Idol.
- BRET MICHAELS has settled up with organizers of the Tony Awards after he was whacked in the head by a piece of scenery at the 2009 awards show. Michaels claimed those injuries contributed to a brain hemorrhage that nearly killed him. Terms of the settlement weren't disclosed.
- Rapper MYSTIKAL turned himself in to a Louisiana jail yesterday to serve out the remainder of a 90-day sentence for domestic abuse. Mystikal wrapped up a six-year prison sentence in 2010 for sexual battery and extortion and this most recent altercation violated the terms of his five-year probation.
- CRAIG MORGAN will return with the third season of his TV show, "Craig Morgan: All Access Outdoors on July 1st on the Outdoor Channel. Highlights from the upcoming season include surfing in Hawaii.
- Today: Betty White; author Buzz Bissinger
- Good Morning America: Madeleine Stowe, Josh Bowman and Emily VanCamp; actor Billy Bob Thornton; Sherri Shepherd and dancer Val Chmerkovskiy; Lisa Marie Presley
- CBS This Morning: Chesley "Sully" Sullenberger; author Jane Lynch; actor Tom Selleck; baseball's Joe Torre
- Kelly: LL Cool J; James Morrison performs; co-host Sam Champion
- The View: President Barack Obama
- The Talk: Actor Michael Weatherly; singer Liza Minnelli
- Ellen DeGeneres: Jennifer Lopez and Cameron Diaz; John Mayer; Victoria Justice performs
The Miami Heat's Chris Bosh is out indefinitely with a lower abdominal strain. Bosh says he has no idea how long he'll be out, but that type of injury typically sidelines a player for a couple of weeks, meaning he might not be able to return until the finals, should the Heat make it that far.
Hopefully your Mother's Day was more pleasant than that of Santa Ana, California's Mayra Gonzalez. The 32-year-old Mayra is a new mother and for that she's been arrested. It seems that Mayra had a relationship with her daughter's 16-year-old boyfriend, which resulted in a child. Mayra faces a sentence of up to seven years and eight months in state prison if convicted on underage sex charges.
1918: U.S. airmail service began between Washington, Philadelphia and New York
actor David Krumholtz (Numbers, 10 Things I Hate About You, The Closer) 34