Bits and Pieces - May 18, 2012
May 18, 2012
Rumor has it that Rihanna may have hooked up with New York Knicks player J.R. Smith. Although, some are saying it could've been a pump fake.
TOBEY MAGUIRE has cut a check for $80,000 to settle up his poker winnings. Normally you cut checks to settle up your losses, but Tobey was part of that high-stakes Hollywood poker ring with Ben Affleck, Matt Damon and others that got tangled up in a lawsuit last year. Ponzi schemer Bradley Ruderman was also part of the poker group and he lost about $5.2 million of his clients' money. Naturally, the clients wanted it back and they went after Tobey since he won most of the time and they felt his winnings were actually theirs.
AMERICAN IDOL contestant JESSICA SANCHEZ has friends in high places. Philippine President Benigno Aquino III held a press conference in Manila yesterday and the topic of Jessica, who is of Filipino and Latino descent, came up and Aquino said he hopes she wins.
- The now ex-girlfriend of ONEREPUBLIC drummer Edward Fisher says his recent arrest came after he broke through the front door of her house and pushed her through some cabinets. Loni Rae told the local media, "Things just got out of hand and he snapped ... and my entire cabinets are ripped off from my walls." Fisher has pleaded not guilty.
- R. KELLY got booed during a club event in Austin, Texas last weekend after he refused to perform. Apparently, Kelly was just supposed to host a party at the place, but fans who paid big bucks for tickets were expecting a show. Kelly arrived late and walked straight to the VIP area before finally picking up a microphone and doing a couple tunes before retreating back to his room.
- MIRANDA LAMBERT is on the cover of the new issue of Self magazine. Inside, Miranda talks about husband Blake Shelton, her thoughts on dieting, and more.
- Jay Leno: Quarterback Robert Griffin III; Hugh Laurie performs
- David Letterman: Conan O'Brien; Regina Spektor performs; John Mayer performs
- Jimmy Kimmel: Matthew Morrison; TV host Beth Stern; Delta Spirit performs
- Conan: Brooklyn Decker; Rufus Wainwright performs
- Jimmy Fallon: Arsenio Hall; actress Maggie Q; Paul Weller performs
- Craig Ferguson: Craig visits Glasgow with actress Mila Kunis
- Carson Daly: Filmmaker Peter Berg; "Ballplayer: Pelotero"; Young the Giant
The Indiana Pacers' Larry Bird was voted the NBA's Executive of the Year. Bird is the first person to be named the league's top executive, coach and MVP.
Charles Mabry, Jr. was driving through Brandon, Florida when fellow motorist Cheng Hsieh started yelling at him. The two men stopped their cars and Cheng got out and approached Charles with a stun gun. When Charles saw the weapon, he ran back to his car, put it in reverse and tried to hit Cheng, who jumped out of the way. Charles then rammed the driver's door of Cheng's car, at which point he grabbed a baseball bat and struck Charles several times in the head, face and arms. Charles was taken to the hospital and if you're wondering what set off the road rage incident, Cheng was mad because Charles didn't use his turn signal.
1792: The New York Stock Exchange was founded
actress Nikki Reed (Lords of Dogtown, American Gun, Twilight) 24