Bits and Pieces - August 27, 2012
August 27, 2012
Britain's royal family asked the British media not to publish those naked photos of Prince Harry. Luckily for the royals no one in Britain has Internet access.
It may not be a good thing this week, but genealogy website FindMyPast.com says HILARY DUFF is the American celebrity most closely related to the British royal family. She's still many cousins removed, but Hilary tops a list that also includes Brooke Shields, Maggie and Jake Gyllenhaal, Michael Douglas, Ellen DeGeneres, Beyonce, Brad Pitt, Angelina Jolie and Alec Baldwin.
Today's AMERICAN IDOL judging report has ALANIS MORISSETTE saying she's been in talks to join the show. Meanwhile, KEITH URBAN and TOBY KEITH have both declined while BRAD PAISLEY has reportedly flown to L.A. for talks with producers.
- Look for COLDPLAY on the third Stand Up to Cancer telethon. The telethon will air September 7th on the four major broadcast networks and over a dozen cable channels.
- New York State Senator Malcolm Smith is calling on LIL WAYNE to apologize after saying in an interview that he doesn't like New York. Smith says that if he doesn't like New York, he doesn't have to come to New York and sell his products there and "perhaps, we won't come to your concerts..." Of course, Wayne has a good reason for not liking New York as he was arrested after his first show in Manhattan in 2007 and later served eight months in prison at Rikers Island.
- DWIGHT YOAKAM is previewing a track from his upcoming album "3 Pears" on RollingStone.com. The song is called "A Heart Like Mine" and was co-produced by Beck. Yoakam will debut a few more tracks before the album comes out on September 18th and you can pre-order now on DwightYoakam.com.
- Jay Leno: Howie Mandel; Alejandro Escovedo performs
- David Letterman: Eli Manning; Sarah Michelle Gellar; Die Antwoord performs
- Jimmy Kimmel: Jennifer Garner; actor Paul Scheer; The Fixx performs
- Jimmy Fallon: Bradley Cooper; Olympic swimmer Ryan Lochte; Antibalas
- Craig Ferguson: Chris Hardwick; Carla Gugino
- Carson Daly: Singer Angie Johnson; comic Moshe Kasher; Bombay Bicycle Club
The UFC has canceled next week's UFC 151 event due to Dan Henderson's injury. Henderson was scheduled to take on light-heavyweight champion Jon Jones, but when middleweight title challenger Chael Sonnen offered to take the bout, Jones declined, saying he wouldn't fight him on eight days' notice.
When pursuing a career in shoplifting it's always a good idea to equip yourself with the tools of the trade. Speaking of tools, Jonathan Ryan Fontaine went to the Port Charlotte, Florida Wal-Mart and helped himself to a 32-inch TV and walked out the door to a waiting getaway vehicle. That vehicle was a bicycle. During the ensuing pursuit, one detective drove ahead of Fontaine and the other got out of his car and pursued him on foot. When Fontaine turned around to look at the detective chasing him, he slammed into the rear of the other detective's vehicle. Fontaine hit his head when he crashed into the car, although it likely wasn't in top working order before the crash, and was checked out and arrested.
1789: The U.S. Treasury Department was established.
actress Salma Hayek (Frida, Wild Wild West, Ugly Betty) 44