Bits and Pieces - January 2, 2013
January 2, 2013
It's now the year 2013, which means the Mayans were wrong about the end of the world. Not only that, the Mayans were wrong about the fiscal cliff.
As if they needed more attention, KIM KARDASHIAN and KANYE WEST announced that they're expecting a baby and that Kim is about three months along. Rumors had been swirling and were officially confirmed onstage by Kanye during a New Jersey concert on Sunday (See and hear here). Kim later blogged: "It's true!! Kanye and I are expecting a baby. We feel so blessed and lucky and wish that in addition to both of our families, his mom and my dad could be here to celebrate this special time with us." Word is they conceived during their romantic trip to Italy to celebrate Kim's 32nd birthday. So, will the baby start life as a TV star? That depends on who you believe. The Hollywood Reporter says the baby will figure into the storyline of Kim's various reality shows, while a supposed friend of the couple tells TMZ that they want to "ensure real privacy" for the child by not publicizing its birth in the press. Kim has reportedly said the baby will never be on the family's show or have its own spin-off, nor will there be a 'Kim Gives Birth' TV special.
ESPN anchor HANNAH STORM returned to TV as host of the Rose Parade yesterday. It was her first on-air appearance since suffering first- and second-degree burns in a propane gas grill accident three weeks ago. Hannah lost about half her hair in the accident, but wore extensions and false eyebrows and eyelashes.
- GREEN DAY will return to the road following Billie Joe Armstrong's stint in rehab starting March 28th in Chicago. Armstrong said in a statement, "I just want to thank you all for the love and support you've shown for the past few months. Believe me, it hasn't gone unnoticed and I'm eternally grateful to have such an amazing set of friends and family. I'm getting better every day. So now, without further ado, the show must go on."
- America may be going out of "Gangnam Style". PSY performed the song during "Dick Clark's New Year's Rockin' Eve", but called it the song's U.S. "finale." (See and hear here)
- THE OAK RIDGE BOYS serenaded George H.W. Bush via telephone while he's being treated at the Methodist Hospital in Houston. They were on vacation when former First Lady Barbara Bush got hold of them and they then met at their office and sang "Elvira," and part of "Amazing Grace" for Bush.
- Today: The eight-hour diet; author Sonja Lyubomirsky
- Good Morning America: News and entertainment
- CBS This Morning: Dr. Jerry Argovitz; musical group Florence and the Machine
- Kelly & Michael: Actors Matthew Morrison and Whitney Cummings
- The View: Guest co-host Mike "The Situation" Sorrentino; actress Geena Davis; comic Chuck Nice
- The Talk: Howie Mandel; fitness expert Angela Parker
- Ellen DeGeneres: Rihanna; Blue Man Group performs
A number of NFL coaches are on the unemployment line. In all, seven coaches and five general managers lost their jobs on the so-called Black Monday. Out are San Diego's Norv Turner, Philadelphia's Andy Reid, Cleveland's Pat Shurmur, Kansas City's Romeo Crennel, Buffalo's Chan Gailey, Chicago's Lovie Smith and Arizona's Ken Whisenhunt.
Oklahoma City's 25-year-old Thomasine Harjo came upon the scene of a fatal car accident. Unlike most people that might slow down and look, Thomasine drove past officers and crime scene tape, nearly hitting one officer before finally stopping her car. When Thomasine opened her car door, officers smelled the odor of alcohol on her breath, but she denied that she'd been drinking. As police arrested Thomasine, she told them she couldn't go to jail because she had to make a court appearance in the morning. Yes, that court appearance was for DUI.
1872: Mormon Church leader Brigham Young was arrested on bigamy charges for having 25 wives.
musician Graham Nash 70