Bits and Pieces - June 7, 2013
June 7, 2013
The government has ordered Verizon to turn over the telephone records of millions of Americans to the National Security Agency. In fact, Verizon has changed their slogan from 'can you hear me now' to 'we can hear you now.'
Whitney Houston's daughter BOBBI KRISTINA BROWN and her boyfriend Nick Gordon have moved out of their Atlanta-area apartment after getting into it with upstairs neighbors who filed at least 10 noise complaints against them. There are conflicting reports as to whether they were evicted or just moved out and whether police are looking into the matter after Bobbi left the neighbors a nasty note. The neighbors went to police after they got the note that read, "Thanks. You are s--t at the bottom of our shoe. Thank you for making a hard year harder. You are a miserable couple, and always will be. You were honored to have us living above you and you couldn't stand such a young beautiful couple being far more successful than you ever will be. I pray your misery doesn't rub off on your innocent little baby."
CONAN O'BRIEN will host a tribute series to JOHNNY CARSON on the TCM channel starting on July 1st. The shows will feature Carson's best interviews from his three decades as host of The Tonight Show.
- PAUL MCCARTNEY will be the guest on a one-hour special edition of The Colbert Report next Wednesday. McCartney will sit down for an interview and perform songs from his Out There tour. In a statement Colbert said, 'I think this McCartney kid's got something special and I'm gonna put him on the map!"
- A 72-second clip of KANYE WEST'S new song with FRANK OCEAN called 'New Slaves' was online for awhile yesterday. West performed the track on Saturday Night Live last month. The track will be on his upcoming album Yeezus, which is due June 18th.
- KENNY CHESNEY has officially unveiled his Blue Chair Bay Rum. It's made at one of the oldest distilleries in the Caribbean and aged in casks on Barbados' shores. Chesney was involved with the brand, bottle and logo design and worked with Mike Booth, one of the world's top rum blenders, to make the rum itself.
- Jay Leno: Actor Henry Cavill; authors Jessica Buchanan and Erik Landemalm; She & Him performs
- David Letterman: Vince Vaughn; comic Andy Kindler; Queens of the Stone Age
- Jimmy Kimmel: Jonah Hill; Scripps Spelling Bee champion; The Lonely Island
- Conan: Danny McBride; Giada De Laurentiis; Capital Cities
- Jimmy Fallon: Christopher Meloni; TV host Cat Deeley; Broken Social Scene performs with Feist
- Craig Ferguson: Betty White; actress Sarah Paulson
- Carson Daly: Producer Matthew Weiner; writer Katie Dippold; Foals perform
The Washington Nationals have placed Stephen Strasburg on the 15-day DL because of a strained muscle in his back. The team will call up a pitcher from Triple-A Syracuse to start on Saturday.
If you're pulled over for DUI and the officer asks how many drinks you've had, the correct answer is generally 'one or two.' Unfortunately for Houma, Louisiana's Wayne Joseph Fazzio, when officers spotted him riding erratically on his motorcycle his answer to the officer's query was that he had "so many drinks that he could not remember how many." Perhaps Wayne remembered after he sobered up in jail as a breathalyzer test showed he was over three times the legal limit.
1844: The Y.M.C.A. was founded in London.
actor Paul Giamatti (Cinderella Man, Sideways, Fred Claus) 46