Bits and Pieces - July 19, 2013
July 19, 2013
Near-record heat is scorching the Northeast this week. In fact, it's so hot and sticky in New York that muggers are ordering their victims to put their arms back down.
It turns out that the cast and producers of "Glee" knew that CORY MONTEITH was battling heroin addiction earlier this year and sat him down, gave him some love and got him to go to rehab. Cory didn't put up a fight and willingly checked in, but obviously relapsed. However, authorities in Vancouver say Cory didn't die from a batch of deadly heroin that's been going around the area. They say it's likely that Cory went back to the same dosage he'd built up a tolerance to before rehab, but because his body was clean it couldn't handle the shock.
The land sharks will be back! THE SYFY CHANNEL has announced that they're going to do a sequel to their wonderfully awful movie "SHARKNADO." They also said they're having a Twitter contest for fans to name the sequel. Tweet your ideas to @SyfyMovies using the hashtag #Sharknado.
- U2'S BONO was awarded France's highest cultural honor, the Commander of Arts and Letters, in a ceremony in Paris on Tuesday. Bono lives part-time outside of Nice in the south of France and accepted the accolade on behalf of his U2 bandmates as well.
- Someone smashed into THE GAME'S BMW outside an L.A. nightclub the other night. However, the driver turned out to be a hot babe, so all was forgiven. Game later said, "She cracked the whip! She cracked the Beemer ... but I'm such a G, that I ain't even trip!"
- The TV Guide Network has picked up The JOHN RICH Project. It's described as part reality and part talk show and will be filmed on location at Rich's home, which he calls Mount Richmore. It'll feature live performances, celebrity interviews, surprise guests and audience interaction. No word on an air date.
- Good Morning America: Ryan Reynolds and Jeff Bridges; ESPY Awards highlights; Emmy nominations announcement
- CBS This Morning: The latest news
- Today: Fifth Harmony performs; chef Timon Balloo; comic Wanda Sykes
- Kelly & Michael: Jeff Bridges; singer Marc Anthony; NBA coach Jason Kidd
- The View: Guest co-host Stacy Keibler; Court Yard Hounds perform
- The Talk: Guest co-hosts Arsenio Hall and Carnie Wilson; TV personality Kris Jenner; chef Cat Cora
- Ellen DeGeneres: Adam Sandler, Chris Rock, Salma Hayek, David Spade and Kevin James ("Grown Ups 2"); Cee Lo Green performs
Alex Rodriguez and the New York Yankees are both saying he should be back in the lineup on Monday against the Texas Rangers.
Albuquerque police Sgt. Darcy McDermeit and officer Scott Maher were searching for an armed person when a gunshot was fired, wounding officer Maher in the lower leg. However, it wasn't the armed person that fired, but Sgt. Darcy. It seems she bumped into a wall and her gun went off. Officer Maher is expected to make a full recovery from his gunshot wound, although Sgt. Darcy's full recovery from embarrassment is questionable.
2003: Kobe Bryant was charged with sexually assaulting a 19-year-old woman at a Colorado spa
actor Chace Crawford (Gossip Girl, What to Expect When You're Expecting) 28