Bits and Pieces - July 23, 2013
July 23, 2013
Filmmaker Michael Moore has filed for divorce from his wife. On the bright side, Moore says he plans to make a revealing documentary about the divorce.
AMANDA BYNES was booted from the Ritz-Carlton in New York last Thursday after allegedly smoking marijuana in her room and being rude to hotel staff. Amanda started off by telling the front desk girl she was "too ugly" to check her in and offering her the name of a plastic surgeon. The check-in girl started crying and the hotel gave Amanda the heave-ho several hours before her scheduled check out time. However, before she left, Bynes racked up almost $9,000 in charges, over $2,000 of that from nearly 40 separate room service orders. For the record, Amanda told TMZ she left the hotel voluntarily and she doesn't smoke weed.
The season premiere of GLEE will be delayed a couple of weeks due to the death of CORY MONTEITH. Producer Ryan Murphy said they'll do a tribute episode that'll address the death of Monteith's character Finn on the season's third episode, after which they'll go on a hiatus to reassess the show's direction.
- A rare early RADIOHEAD demo will hit the auction block in September. The nine-track cassette dates back to 1986, when the band was still known as On a Friday. They expect the tape to sell for about $1,500.
- KELLY ROWLAND was among the passengers on a private whale-watching boat that had to be escorted back to Cape Cod after the captain became disoriented on Friday. Passengers were said to be great, but a little shook up.
- KEITH URBAN has teamed up with Hallmark to offer greeting cards featuring 12 of his songs, including "Long Hot Summer," "Sweet Thing," and "Days Go By." You can pick them up at any Hallmark store.
- Good Morning America: Talk, News
- CBS This Morning: Actress Octavia Spencer
- Today: Lisa Kudrow; actress Piper Perabo; TV host Apolo Ohno
- Kelly & Michael: Actress Octavia Spencer; actor Daniel Sunjata
- The View: Lisa Kudrow; actress Natasha Lyonne; Curtis Fields performs
- The Talk: Guest co-host Carnie Wilson; actor Ricky Schroder; chef David Myers
- Ellen DeGeneres: Catherine Zeta-Jones; actor Nicholas Hoult; tennis player Sloane Stephens
As many as 15 former players and others now say former Oakland University women's basketball coach Beckie Francis fixated on players' weight, pushed her religious views on them and used intimidation. Francis was fired by the school last month, the same day her husband, then-Oakland president Gary Russi, retired, although the school remained tight-lipped about the situation.
Fort Wayne, Indiana's Melinda Walker was home with her 5-year-old grandson when three punks barged in and demanded cash and her TV. Since Walker couldn't see the gun they claimed to have, she picked up her Guitar Hero video game controller and began whacking them with it before pushing one of the ruffians down the stairs. Eventually the trio fled empty-handed and it didn't help their street cred when Melinda later told reporters, "I may not be a strong woman. I may not be a well woman, but you're not going to get my stuff."
1933: Aviator Wiley Post completed the first-ever solo flight around the world
Jeopardy host Alex Trebek 73