Bits and Pieces - August 12, 2013
August 12, 2013
TV's Dr. Sanjay Gupta now says he was wrong about the effects of marijuana and apologized for saying it was dangerous. Sanjay admits he was full of Gupta.
LEAH REMINI declared war on Scientology by filing a missing person report for the wife of the church's controversial leader, David Miscavige. Shelly Miscavige hasn't been seen in public in six years, and Leah first started questioning the group after she was scolded for asking about her absence at Tom Cruise's wedding to Katie Holmes. Last night, police closed the investigation after meeting Shelley face-to-face, but there's no word on where the meeting took place or how she explained her long absence. An anti-Scientology website says Shelly was transferred to a secret compound near Lake Arrowhead, which houses about a dozen Scientologists who are completely cut off from the outside world and Remini supposedly questioned whether she's being held against her will. Scientology fired back, calling it 'harassment' and a publicity stunt cooked up by a small band of unemployed fanatics who live on the fringe of the Internet.
ALEC BALDWIN has reportedly signed a deal to do his own show on MSNBC. The show doesn't have a title yet, but will air at 10 p.m. on Fridays.
- SOUNDGARDEN'S CHRIS CORNELL will hit the road this fall on a solo acoustic tour. Cornell will perform stripped-down versions from the Soundgarden catalog as well as solo work. The tour kicks off on October 15th in San Diego.
- SNOOP DOG managed to find 15 people to pay $100 each for his Golden Jay iPhone app. It's a drawing of a marijuana joint that you can paste over your photos using Snoop's app Snoopify.
- KENNY CHESNEY finally did his first costume change after almost two decades on the road! At his tour stop in Bangor, Maine, some members of his No Shoes Nation told him that in boots, jeans and t-shirt, he was overdressed. Kenny told the crowd if they'd give him three minutes, he'd go to the bus and change. They did and Kenny returned in a pair of swim trunks, a t-shirt and a Boston Red Sox baseball cap and played the rest of the show barefoot.
- Jay Leno: Jason Sudeikis; Fry It & Try It with Jim Stacy; KT Tunstall performs
- David Letterman: Kevin James; snowboarder Shaun White; Darius Rucker
- Jimmy Kimmel: TBA
- Jimmy Fallon: Vanessa Hudgens; comic John Oliver; Earl Sweatshirt performs
- Craig Ferguson: Keith Olbermann; comic Esther Povitsky
- Carson Daly: Rapper Angel Haze; rapper Sirah; Big Black Delta and Grape St.
Cornerback Eric Wright, who was traded from the Tampa Bay Buccaneers to the San Francisco 49ers nearly three weeks ago, but was sent back after he failed a physical, and then cut by the Bucs, has signed a one-year contract with the 49ers.
Levar Fulgham and two others left the Farmington, Connecticut TJ Maxx with $4,500 in designer handbags. Unfortunately, they didn't pay for the bags. As it turned out, store security and police officers had it covered. When Fulgham saw police, he started running and hopped into an idling car parked nearby. Unluckily for Fulgham, he chose a car owned by a DUI offender who was required to install an ignition interlock device on the vehicle. Unbeknownst to Fulgham, it was necessary to breathe into a tube in order to get the transmission to engage. Fulgham abandoned the car and tried to flee on foot, but was chased down and Tasered.
1992: Basketball great Larry Bird announced his retirement
actor Andy Samberg (Saturday Night Live, Friends With Benefits, I Love You Man) 35