Bits and Pieces - August 23, 2013
August 23, 2013
Former Pope Benedict now says he resigned because God told him to. I hate to break it to him, but if the boss asks you to resign, that usually means you're fired.
LINDSAY LOHAN hit the town in New York City on Tuesday night minus her pants! Lindsay wore a white button-down shirt and a pair of teeny black briefs that could be seen through the blouse. While Lindsay seemed to be sober, she was with hotelier Vikram Chatwal, who was arrested back in April after attempting to board a plane in Florida with cocaine, marijuana and prescription pills. He was also ordered to complete a court-ordered rehab stint, but it would seem that he'd be a likely candidate for Lindsay's list of toxic friends that she planned to 86 from her life. As for Lindsay claiming in her interview with Oprah that she'd only done cocaine 10 to 15 times, about as many people are buying that as believed her when she earlier said she only tried it two or three times. One unnamed source says they personally witnessed Lindsay doing coke at least 20 times in less than a week when she was out of control just several months ago.
The AMERICAN IDOL judging rumors continue as it's now reported that DIDDY turned down a spot on the panel after he heard that ex-girlfriend JENNIFER LOPEZ was returning to the show. However, a rep denied the story.
- BLINK-182'S MARK HOPPUS says the band hopes to return to the recording studio early next year. He says they don't have any material ready yet and they don't really talk all that much when they're not touring, but added: "When we get in a room together, it all falls into place and we start making jokes. That's when we start writing songs and reconnecting with everything."
- DMX has been arrested for possession of marijuana following a routine traffic stop. A police officer said that after finding the pot, DMX became very aggressive and the smell of alcohol coming from his person became very strong. However, his rep says, "No drugs were found on DMX or the other passengers and the alleged bags of marijuana were never shown to DMX or the other passengers."
- When TAYLOR SWIFT performs at the Staples Center in Los Angeles this Saturday, she'll have played 11 sold-out shows at the venue, matching the current record held by the Latin pop group Mana. During her show there on Tuesday, she was joined by TEGAN AND SARA to perform "Closer." (See here)
- Jay Leno: Kristin Chenoweth performs; actor Josh Gad
- David Letterman: Serena Williams; comic Sean Donnelly; MGMT performs
- Jimmy Kimmel: Jason Sudeikis; actress Amber Heard; Mayer Hawthorne performs
- Conan: Ed Helms; Alice Eve; cast of Alcoholics
- Jimmy Fallon: Ryan Reynolds; comic Bob Saget; Fall Out Boy performs
- Craig Ferguson: Margaret Cho; actor Hugh Dancy
- Carson Daly: Actress Greta Gerwig; artist Molly Crabapple; Pierce the Veil performs
A group called Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense is organizing what they call "Skip Starbucks Saturday" this weekend. Their nationwide boycott aims to pressure Starbucks to change its current policy that allows customers to carry loaded guns into their coffee shops where permitted by state law. The group notes that Starbucks employees aren't allowed to carry guns at work, even in states that allow them to do so.
The Dallas Cowboys have signed linebacker Sean Lee to a contract extension through 2019. The six-year deal could be worth as much as $51 million.
Nickolas Messier helped himself to some electronic goods at the Hooksett, New Jersey K-Mart and slyly left through the garden department to avoid paying for said items. Employees likely smirked as they watched Nikolas trying to put the stolen goods in his car, which was impossible since he'd locked his keys inside. Nikolas fled on foot, leaving the car behind. Nikolas wasn't a pedestrian for long as police soon caught up with him and gave him a ride to jail.
2007: The Texas Rangers defeated the Baltimore Orioles 30-3, becoming the first team in 110 years to score 30 runs in a game.
actress Kristen Wiig (Saturday Night Live, Date Night, MacGruber) 40