Bits and Pieces - August 26, 2013
August 26, 2013
Army Private Bradley Manning, who was sentenced to 35 years in prison for leaking classified documents, says he wants to live as a woman. That's probably not the statement you want to make as you enter prison.
JENNIFER LOPEZ had an uninvited guest at the pool house of her Southampton mansion. Police arrested an alleged stalker who somehow managed to live there for several days without getting noticed. The guy walked around the estate in view of neighbors and even posted Facebook photos of himself on the grounds until he was taken to slightly less luxurious accommodations behind bars. While J.Lo wasn't home, her security guards were patrolling the property. The guy isn't a total stranger as Lopez already had a protective order against him for contacting her mother earlier this year.
LAW & ORDER: SVU will mash up the Paula Deen scandal with the Trayvon Martin murder this season. CYBILL SHEPHERD will play a high-profile celebrity chef who shoots and kills an unarmed teenager in a hoodie, who she thought was an attacker.
- GREEN DAY'S Broadway Idiot, which examines the theater version of their American Idiot album, will hit movie theaters on October 18th. If you'd prefer to stay in, it'll be available on video on demand a week later.
- Rapper 2 CHAINZ was arrested with 11 others yesterday morning in Oklahoma City. After their bus was pulled over for broken taillights, they refused to let police search it for suspected illegal drugs without a warrant. The group was detained while a warrant was obtained and then the bus was towed to a police training center where the group was arrested for obstruction of a public officer.
- JO DEE MESSINA says that fans who helped fund her new album through Kickstarter have chosen the song "Peace Sign" to be the first single. An album release date will be announced soon.
- Jay Leno: Anthony Hopkins; comic Amy Schumer; Robert Randolph and the Family Band perform
- David Letterman: Oprah Winfrey; actor Paul Rudd
- Jimmy Kimmel: Neil Patrick Harris; baseball's Clayton Kershaw; Pepper performs
- Jimmy Fallon: Jeff Bridges; TV personality Stacy Keibler; Jesse and The Rippers
- Craig Ferguson: Lewis Black; comic Matt Morales
- Carson Daly: Singer Davey Havok; Kitten performs
Where do men's eyes first gravitate to when meeting a woman? According to a hard to believe survey, 70 percent of men said they notice a woman's eyes first, followed by her smile and then finally her breasts. As for women, they also noticed a man's eyes first, followed by his smile and his height. In what perhaps explains the results, the survey was commissioned by Murine eye drops. (What grabs your attention first?)
Ryan Braun finally admitted to taking performance-enhancing drugs during his MVP season of 2011. Braun tested positive that year, but his suspension was overturned when it was ruled that the sample was mishandled. Braun apologized to the collector of the sample, his teammates and Commissioner Bud Selig.
Cody Allen Andel and Herman Dewayne Ephran devised a cunning plan to burglarize a storage unit in Fort Bend County, Texas. The pair might not have been captured had they devoted as much time to planning their getaway. Owner Phil Janda was awakened by his barking dogs and he looked outside to see the lights of car he thought was stuck in a ditch. Yes, it was the inaccurately described getaway car of Cody and Herman and it wasn't in a ditch, but out of gas. The boys further aided in their apprehension by knocking on people's doors at three in the morning with a gas can and asking if they could get some fuel. A 9-1-1 call was made and a deputy found Cody and Herman next to their SUV with the stolen goods inside and, no, he didn't buy their story about mowing lawns in the middle of the night.
1878: Emma M. Nutt became the first female telephone operator in the U.S.
actress/comedian Lily Tomlin (I Heart Huckabees, Laugh In, The West Wing) 74