Bits and Pieces - August 30, 2013
August 30, 2013
Fox News chairman Rupert Murdoch has purchased a winery in Bel Air for $28.8 million. It looks like he finally found something to do with all of those sour grapes from after the last election.
One person we haven't heard from regarding MILEY CYRUS' MTV Awards performance is her fiancé, LIAM HEMSWORTH. If you believe Radar Online, he was mortified and he couldn't be more embarrassed. Liam wasn't there to see for himself, but got an earful about it afterwards and he's no doubt seen the video. A source says that not only is Liam again having second thoughts about the relationship, his reps are urging him to break it off. If you're still wondering what this twerking thing is all about, Morgan Freeman went on CNN yesterday and explained it. (See here)
The new season of "DANCING WITH THE STARS" is just a few weeks away and some pretty solid cast rumors surfaced yesterday. If they're accurate, and they usually are, Glee star Amber Riley, Nicole "Snooki" Polizzi, The Voice's Christina Milian, actress Elizabeth Berkley, former NFL star Keyshawn Johnson and ex-Scientologist Leah Remini will be hitting the dance floor. However, the most amazing story would be 74-year-old TV legend Valerie Harper, who was given just three months to live by her doctors back in March due to terminal brain cancer. The official announcement will be made next week on Good Morning America.
- A second volume of previously unreleased recordings of THE BEATLES from the mid-1960s on BBC Radio will be released in November. The first volume was released back in 1994 and contained 56 songs and 13 dialog tracks from the band's appearances on the BBC. The BBC will also release the book The Beatles - The Archives: 1962-1970 in October.
- A new MICHAEL JACKSON album is in the works. Producer TIMBALAND revealed that he's currently working on a track called Chicago, which will feature Jackson's vocals. Timbaland said he spoke to Jackson on the phone before his death about working on new music. Another track, called 'Slave 2 The Rhythm,' featuring Justin Bieber, recently leaked online.
- How do you get to Carnegie Hall? Practice...or release a bluegrass album. ALAN JACKSON will perform his upcoming "The Bluegrass Album" at Carnegie Hall in New York on October 28th. The album will be out September 24th. How do you get to jail? Assault, underage drinking and resisting arrest did it for Jackson's 20-year-old daughter, Alexandra. She allegedly hit a police officer and then name dropped her famous dad during a traffic stop in Nashville yesterday.
- Good Morning America: Mandisa performs; chef Emeril Lagasse
- CBS This Morning: The latest news
- Today: A profile of rapper Pharrell
- Kelly & Michael: Ryan Reynolds; NBA legend Shaquille O'Neal
- The View: Guest co-host Lauren Sanchez; actor Ethan Hawke; John Walsh
- The Talk: Scott Foley; actress Jordana Brewster; celebrity trainer Jackie Warner
- Ellen DeGeneres: Steve Carell; actress Emily VanCamp
Montana District Judge G. Todd Baugh is being urged to resign after he sentenced a 54-year-old former teacher to just 30 days in jail for raping a 14-year-old girl who later committed suicide. The judge ruled that the young victim was "as much in control of the situation" as her teacher and referred to her as a troubled youth. The girl's mother left the sentencing hearing screaming. "You people suck," and a protest is planned for today near the courthouse in Billings. The judge later apologized for his remarks, but stands by his sentence.
Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel will be suspended for the first half of the Aggies' season-opening game against Rice on Saturday for what school officials called an "inadvertent violation" of NCAA rules regarding autograph signing. Both the school and the NCAA found no evidence Manziel received money in exchange for autographs.
If you're looking for a designated driver, don't bother calling Staunton, Virginia's 22-year-old Andrew Paul Rivera. As Rivera was recently arrested on DUI charges, officers also noted that his passenger, James Wesley Reinhold, was also drunk. and they arranged for a sober friend to take him home. While officers tried to arrange a ride home for Reinhold, Rivera casually mentioned that his perhaps now former friend was wanted by police. Sure enough, Reinhold had an outstanding warrant and was also arrested. Even worse, the pit bull puppy traveling with them was taken to the pound because there was nobody for it to go home with.
1885: The first fight under the Marquis of Queensberry Rules was held in Cincinnati with John L. Sullivan defeating Dominick McCaffery in six rounds.
actress Lea Michele (Glee, New Year's Eve) 27