Bits and Pieces
January 6, 2011
The new inductees into the Baseball Hall of Fame were announced yesterday. This year's inductees are Roberto Alomar, pitcher Bert Blyleven and Cameron Diaz.
The buzz is that JAKE GYLLENHAAL and TAYLOR SWIFT broke up because of the paparazzi attention and their 7-year age difference. Although, skeptics are saying it may have been a publicity stunt, like they actually need any extra ink!
PAULA ABDUL may have jumped the shark. The debut of her new show LIVE TO DANCE got spanked in the ratings by BIGGEST LOSER. On the bright side for Paula, 67 percent of those asked in a Hollywood Reporter survey say American Idol's best days are behind it. (What do you think? Will you watch this season?)
- You'd think they'd have gotten around to it by now, but DEF LEPPARD is working on their first-ever full-length live album. The album will be taken from their 2010 world tour. No word on when it'll hit stores.
- The numbers are in and EMINEM'S album "Recovery" was officially named the United States' best-selling album of 2010, with 3.42 million copies sold. LADY ANTEBELLUM'S "Need You Now" and TAYLOR SWIFT'S "Speak Now" were second and third, selling around 3 million each.
- If you weren't counting at the turnstiles, CARRIE UNDERWOOD'S Play On tour played to 1 million fans last year.
- Today: A woman who can remember every day of her life; actress Jane Seymour
- Good Morning America: Tim McGraw ("Country Strong"); the "Jersey Shore" cast
- CBS Early Show: Gwyneth Paltrow
- Regis & Kelly: Roseanne Barr; "Jersey Shore" stars Ronnie Ortiz-Magro, DJ Pauly D and Vinny Guadagnino
- The View: Jeff Bridges and Hailee Steinfeld ("True Grit"); chef Ming Tsai
- Ellen DeGeneres: Tom Selleck; Bruno Mars performs
As was rumored, John Elway is rejoining the Denver Broncos as the team's chief football executive. Elway's first order of business is interviewing candidates for the team's vacant head coaching job.
Earlier this week, a United Airlines flight from Chicago to Frankfurt, Germany was rerouted to Toronto due to an unspecified issue. That issue has now been specified. It seems the pilot spilled his coffee, which interfered with the plane's navigation and communication systems, causing it to send out distress signals indicating unlawful interference or hijacking.
2001: Congress certified George W. Bush the winner of the 2000 presidential election
TV host Julie Chen (Big Brother, The Early Show) 41