Bits and Pieces - March 14, 2011
March 14, 2011
This was the weekend we set our clocks forward one hour. That means Jersey Shore's Snooki lost an hour of drinking.
The tsunami from the Japanese earthquake reached all the way to the west coast of the U.S., but it didn't have to go that far to find JIMMY KIMMEL. He was on vacation in the South Pacific when it hit and Tweeted about his evacuation. The first Tweet went: "Suddenly, relaxing on an island in the South Pacific isn't so relaxing anymore. Good thing I brought my aqua stilts." He later thanked fans for their concern and Tweeted: "We are evacuating the island. dogspeed." Also affected was the cast and crew of 'The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn,' including Taylor Lautner and Kristen Stewart, who were filming on British Columbia's Vancouver Island beach and the cast and crew of Hawaii Five-O.
Word has it that AMERICAN IDOL contestant Casey Abrams has ulcerative colitis, which is an inflammatory bowel disease that affects the lining of the large intestine. After Thursday night's show Abrams Tweeted: "Hey guys, thanks for the well wishes, I got some nice fresh blood in me and feeling better. People at Idol & Cedars are treatin me real good."
- Not only do THE FOO FIGHTERS have their new album, "Wasting Light," on the way April 12th, four days later they'll release a covers album for the annual Record Store Day. It'll be called "Medium Rare," and will feature covers of songs such as Pink Floyd's "Have a Cigar," Cream's "I Feel Free" and Paul McCartney and Wings' "Band on the Run." It'll be released on vinyl only.
- NE-YO has cut a deal with the Cartoon Network to produce his own show called "I Heart Tuesdays". It's about a 16-year-old girl that's forced to save the world from an unknown evil every Tuesday for the rest of her life.
- JEWEL and her unborn baby are okay after a fire truck crashed into her car on Friday. The fire truck was answering a call at the time and Jewel was taken to the hospital where doctors gave her the all clear. Jewel sent out a Tweet over the weekend praising her Cadillac SRX for saving her life and she says she plans to get a new one since her old one was totaled.
- Today: Today's Kitchen
- Good Morning America: Robin Roberts and Dr. Richard Besser head to Cape Town, South Africa
- CBS Early Show: Talk, News
- Regis & Kelly: Edie Falco; actor Matthew Morrison; Ashthon Jones performs
- The View: Director Tom Shadyac; author Todd Bridges ("Killing Willis"); guest co-host Jeanine Pirro
- Ellen DeGeneres: Natalie Portman; reality TV star Madison McKinley; YouTube singers Jorge and Alexa Narvaez
The latest NFL bargaining deadline passed without a deal in place and owners have locked out the players, which could lead to the NFL's first work stoppage since 1987.
You probably remember last week's story about that doofus in Oregon who broke into a house and then called 911 while he was in the shower because the owner returned home and he thought he had a gun. Timothy James Chapek is his name and his burglary career hasn't become any more successful. Two days later, police in Chehalis, Washington got a call of a theft in progress at a local Wal-Mart. They arrived to find Chapek in the parking lot trying to load items into a stolen car.
2003: Robert Blake was released from jail on $1.5 million bail while awaiting trial on charges he murdered his wife.
actor Michael Caine (Cider House Rules, Hurry Sundown, Batman Begins) 78