Bits and Pieces - April 5, 2011
April 5, 2011
UConn beat Butler 53-41 to win the NCAA championship. You can tell things were going bad for Butler because the UConn players cut down the net at halftime.
Are AMERICAN IDOL contestants CASEY ABRAMS and HALEY REINHART working on a duet of the non-musical variety? Word is they've become a couple after spending time together during the show's rehearsals and tapings. Insiders say they're always lying on each other when they're around the other contestants and everybody thinks they're hooking up.
X-FACTOR judge L.A. REID says former Girls Aloud singer CHERYL COLE will join him and SIMON COWELL on the show's judging panel. There's still a fourth seat to fill on the panel.
- THE FOO FIGHTERS' double feature is playing in 80 select theaters nationwide tonight. First up is the Foo's documentary Back and Forth. After that, it's a 3-D concert film in which the band plays its newest album, Wasting Light, in its entirety. (Hear the album here) (Get theater list here)
- KE$HA is extending her "Get $leazy" tour into the summer. Ke$ha will tour with LMFAO and rapper Spank Rock and says, "I hope people are ready to come and take their clothes off."
- MIRANDA LAMBERT is developing a drama series for ABC about a family in Texas whose parents are private investigators.
- ABC: No Ordinary Family; Dancing With the Stars (Selena Gomez & The Scene/ OneRepublic performs) and Body of Proof are new
- CBS: NCIS and Good Wife are new; NCIS: Los Angeles is a repeat
- Fox: Glee, Raising Hope and Traffic Light reruns
- NBC: Biggest Loser and Parenthood are new
- CW: One Tree Hill and Hellcats are reruns
- ESPN: Women's college basketball championship Texas A&M vs. Notre Dame
- Versus: Hockey with the Devils at Penguins
UConn beat Butler 53-41 to win the NCAA championship. The Huskies held Butler to 18.8 percent shooting, the worst ever in a title game, and made Jim Calhoun the oldest coach to win the title game at 68.
You remember the folks at Transocean Ltd. They were the operators of that BP oil drilling rig in the Gulf of Mexico that done blowed up and caused that little spill. That little incident caused 11 deaths and spilled millions of gallons of oil into the gulf. You'll be happy to know that Transocean executives have been dealt with in a fitting manner. For example, CEO Steve Newman was punished with a total compensation package of $5.8 million, which includes a 34 percent pay raise from the previous year and a $374,000 safety bonus. In fact, all of Transocean's top executives received bonuses for achieving the best year in terms of safety performance in the company's history.
2006: Katie Couric announced she was leaving NBC's Today show to become anchor of The CBS Evening News.
actor Michael Moriarity (Law & Order, Along Came A Spider, The Hanoi Hilton) 70