Bits and Pieces - April 20, 2011
April 20, 2011
Today is April 20th, or 4/20, which is considered by some to be a marijuana holiday. The good news is firefighters in California say that by midnight they should have Snoop Dogg's celebration fully contained.
Both CHARLIE SHEEN and Brooke Mueller showed up at a Los Angeles court for their custody hearing yesterday. Charlie was with one of his goddesses and witnesses say Brooke appeared unsteady on her feet and spaced out. Not only that; a reporter who asked her a question said her words were slurred. The hearing began open to the media, but part way through the judge closed the hearing due to sensitive "questions of abuse" in the case. No word on what that was about, but in the end Brooke came out the winner as the judge left the custody arrangement as is. After the hearing, Charlie raced back to the airport to catch a private plane back to Washington for last night's show on his Torpedo of Truth tour, although he might as well have skipped it as it was another bomb fest with much of the audience walking out. As for Charlie's case about whether his beef with and Two and a Half Men will be settled with arbitration or in court, both sides gave their arguments and the judge will issue a decision in the next 30 days.
Supermodel PETRA NEMCOVA was in the bottom three of DANCING WITH THE STARS on Monday night and the very bottom last night as she was voted off.
- THE FOO FIGHTERS have kicked off their garage tour where they perform in contest winner's garages around the country. Assuming the Foos aren't coming to a garage near you, they will be going on a more conventional tour this summer. (See and hear a garage performance here)
- The acting bug has bitten SEAN 'DIDDY' COMBS. In a series of Tweets he wrote: "Attention all film directors, casting agents, producers, writers! I am an aspiring actor for hire! Pls call me if you have a job 4 me! 4real... (sic) I take direction well. I'm always on time. I don't come with a (sic) entourage! And I know how to play my position! No ego! I wanna work! Hire me!" Diddy even offered to donate his paycheck to charity in exchange for a good film role.
- TAYLOR SWIFT has set a new record with 22.5 million digital song downloads to date. Taylor broke the previous record of 20 million digital singles sold, set by LADY GAGA.
- Jay Leno: Kirstie Alley; MMA fighter Jon "Bones" Jones; Peter Bjorn And John
- David Letterman: James Franco; Royal Bangs performs
- Jimmy Kimmel: Robert Pattinson; actress Shailene Woodley; Lenka performs
- Conan: Tyler Perry; director Morgan Spurlock; The Strokes perform
- George Lopez: Dwayne Johnson; TV show host Cat Deeley; Kimberly Clark performs; Zakk Wylde performs
- Jimmy Fallon: Amy Poehler; professional golfer Tiger Woods
- Craig Ferguson: Michael Clarke Duncan; actress Lena Headey
- Carson Daly: Actor Jason Sudeikis; filmmaker Elgin James; Freddie Gibbs
Cincinnati Reds pitcher Mike Leake will start as scheduled tomorrow despite being arrested for shoplifting on Monday. Leake allegedly shoplifted about $60 worth of merchandise, although police say he had $250 in cash and several credit cards.
Police in Kitchener, Ontario arrested an unnamed 58-year-old woman, whom we'll call Birdie, after they noticed her driving down a street while continuously honking her horn before hitting a city bus and another vehicle. Amazingly, officers say neither excessive speed nor alcohol were factors. However, what may have been factors were the facts that Birdie was only partially dressed and had a pet bird flying loose in her car.
1961: The government gave approval for FM Stereo broadcasting
actor George Takei (Star Trek) 74