Bits and Pieces - April 22, 2011
April 22, 2011
Today is Earth Day. Even the Boston Celtics are helping to conserve energy by turning out the lights on the New York Knicks.
Today's celebrity whizzing match is between DONALD TRUMP and JERRY SEINFELD. It seems Seinfeld backed out of doing a charity benefit for St. Jude's Hospital hosted by Trump's son, Eric. A rep for Seinfeld says that Jerry has grown increasingly uncomfortable with Trump's rhetoric, particularly in questioning President Obama's citizenship. Trump fired back in a letter to Seinfeld saying, "We don't care that you broke your commitment...What I do feel badly about is that I agreed to do, and did, your failed show, 'The Marriage Ref,' even though I thought it was absolutely terrible and was embarrassed after having watched the first couple of episodes. Despite its poor ratings, I didn't cancel on you like you canceled on my son and St. Jude. I only wish I did. You should be ashamed of yourself!" In any case, Seinfeld is making contributions to both the Eric Trump Foundation and St. Jude's Hospital.
Stefano Langone was bounced from AMERICAN IDOL last night. Jacob Lusk and Haley Reinhart joined him in the bottom three.
- The director of the new documentary Talihina Sky: The Story of KINGS OF LEON says things haven't always been so harmonious between brothers Caleb and Nathan Followill. He says the two have gone at each other over the years, resulting in broken shoulders, pulled hair and attempted stabbings! The documentary premiered last night at the Tribeca Film Festival.
- Canada has deported THE GAME back to the U.S. He was on his way to a concert in Nova Scotia the other day when he was detained at a Canadian airport. Game had gotten permission to tour Canada, but while his plane was in the air promoters were notified that he'd be denied entry due to new information about him being affiliated with organized crime and an active member of the Bloods street gang.
- Some singers are good luck for certain sports teams, but CARRIE UNDERWOOD doesn't appear to be one of them. Carrie and Vince Gill performed Cowboy Casanova for husband Mike Fisher and the Nashville Predators fans before game four on Wednesday night. The Predators lost to the Anaheim Ducks 6-3.
- ABC: Shark Tank, Primetime and 20/20 with a Barbara Walters Exclusive: Elton John and David Furnish are new
- CBS: A CSI: NY rerun and the Girls Night Out country music special
- Fox: A Kitchen Nightmares rerun and a new Fringe
- NBC: Dateline and Friday Night Lights are new
- CW: Smallville and Supernatural are new
- ESPN: NBA hoops with the Celtics at Knicks and Lakers at Hornets
- ESPN2: NBA hoops with the Magic at Hawks
- Versus: Hockey with the Predators at Ducks
Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig says he expects the playoffs to expand from eight teams to 10 for the 2012 season.
To celebrate April 20th, or 4/20, one unnamed 17-year-old Boulder, Colorado kid, whom we'll call Spicoli, attended a smoke out at the University of Colorado. The good times turned into a bummer when Spicoli got into his car and left the event and promptly crashed into a parked vehicle. To make matters worse, the car that Spicoli crashed into was a deputy's patrol car. Spicoli was taken to a local hospital because of "issues related to marijuana use" and was ticketed for driving under the influence of drugs and reckless driving.
1991: Johnny Carson announced his retirement from the Tonight Show
actress Amber Heard (Pineapple Express, Alpha Dog, Drop Dead Sexy) 25