Bits and Pieces - April 27, 2011
April 27, 2011
Wrestler Chris Jericho was eliminated from Dancing With the Stars last night. Unfortunately, Jericho and partner Cheryl Burke failed to impress the judges with their steel cage death waltz.
LINDSAY LOHAN'S taped appearance aired on the Tonight Show last night. Lindsay was welcomed with a standing ovation and admitted to Jay, "I'm not a kid anymore. I'm 24. I've made a lot of mistakes and I recognize that. But I'm in the clear now and I feel like as long as I stay focused then I will be able to achieve what I want to achieve." No word on what Lindsay meant by being in the clear, since she still has potential jail time in her future, but it might really be in Lindsay's best interest to plea bargain and agree to do time. Those in the know say Lindsay would only likely do 20 percent of her 120 day sentence, which works out to 24 days. Plus, with jail overcrowding, she could be out in a few hours. (See and hear a clip from Jay here. There's more in Ron's audio section)
As expected, KATIE COURIC officially announced that she's leaving the CBS Evening News. Katie didn't reveal what she'll do next, but she did say she's looking at a format that will allow her to engage in more multi-dimensional storytelling.
- MY CHEMICAL ROMANCE has reworked their tune Sing as a benefit for Japanese disaster relief. "Sing It for Japan" features a full orchestra and a video shot during the band's current tour, which includes fans' artwork and inspirational messages to the people of Japan. All proceeds from the download and "#SING It for Japan" T-Shirts go to the Red Cross' recovery efforts. Get the goods at MyChemicalRomance.com/Japan/ (See and hear them talk about it here)
- He may not have Adonis DNA, but DIDDY is causing some heat for New York City's finest. The NYPD says a sergeant allowed a police escort for Diddy for one city block after a concert Friday night and that the assistance was unauthorized and is under investigation.
If you happen to be in the area, JOEY AND RORY are hosting their annual "Bib and Buckle Fest" on June 4th at their farmhouse in Pottsville, Tennessee. They'll have music, food and fun, but there's a maximum of 1,500 guests, so sign up for passes at BibAndBuckleFest.com.
- Jay Leno: Rene Russo; actor Kevin Hart; Buddy Guy performs
- David Letterman: Kate Hudson; sportscaster Rich Eisen; Emmylou Harris
- Jimmy Kimmel: Larry King; actress Jaimie Alexander; Augustana performs
- Conan: Emily Blunt; Martha Stewart; Taio Cruz performs
- George Lopez: Emmy Rossum; boxer Mike Tyson; Thirty Seconds to Mars
- Jimmy Fallon: Seth Meyers; Dispatch performs; Robert Glasper performs
- Craig Ferguson: Matthew McConaughey; actress Amy Smart
- Carson Daly: Actor John Lehr; musical group The Hours; Lykke Li performs
A few NFL players showed up at team facilities yesterday and were let inside, but most were told they couldn't work out. However, Giants defensive tackle Chris Canty did work out in the team's weight room and spoke to head coach Tom Coughlin and other staffers.
Ryan Braun just signed a $105 million contract extension with the Milwaukee Brewers. Naturally in these economic times many a gold digger would resign themselves to marrying a handsome, athletic stud to get their hands on his loot. One such fan identified only as Robin put her marriage proposal and phone number on a sign and went to the ballpark. The TV cameras showed the sign and soon Robin's voicemail box was full. Unfortunately for Robin, Braun already has a girlfriend, but he decided to call her just to be friendly. Imagine Robin's disappointment when she hears he couldn't get through to her jammed voicemail.
1956: Boxer Rocky Marciano retired
singer Sheena Easton 52