Bits and Pieces - April 29, 2011
April 29, 2011
Last night was Steve Carell's big farewell on The Office. There haven't been so many Americans so anxious to see a guy leave his job since George W. Bush.
Today is ROYAL WEDDING day. Like Princess Diana, Kate pledged to "love, comfort, honor and keep" William rather than the more traditional vow to "obey." Among those that weren't in attendance was SARAH FERGUSON, The Duchess of York. Not only did she not receive an invite to the wedding, she was asked to keep a low profile so as not to take attention away from the royals' big day. A friend of Sarah's says they basically told her to disappear and not be any distraction. Also not in attendance was Syria's ambassador to Britain. He was uninvited because of Syria's crackdown on pro-democracy protesters.
CASEY ABRAMS ran out of saves and was eliminated last night on AMERICAN IDOL. Meanwhile, the season 10 contestants will hit the road on their traditional post-season tour starting July 6th in West Valley City, Utah.
- BON JOVI guitarist RICHIE SAMBORA is headed to rehab again. A source tells Radar Online that Richie has been drinking too much and wants to get his life together. The Bon Jovi tour will continue with a replacement guitarist until Sambora is able to rejoin them.
- OUTKAST'S BIG BOI is recording with MODEST MOUSE. Big Boi Tweeted this week: "Been camped out in the Lab with Modest Mouse all week, workin on the new mouse LP, coolest cats ever. Long Live The Funk (sic)."
- LUKE BRYAN'S latest single "Country Girl (Shake It For Me)" sold over 105,000 downloads in its first week. That's a personal record for Luke and the second highest digital sales debut for a country artist this year.
- ABC: Shark Tank and a 20/20 royal wedding special
- CBS: A royal wedding special, plus CSI: NY (Guest: Peter Fonda) and Blue Bloods are new
- Fox: Kitchen Nightmares and Fringe are new
- NBC: Friday Night Lights and Dateline are new
- CW: Smallville and Supernatural are new
- ESPN: NBA hoops with the Spurs at Grizzlies
- ESPN2: NFL Draft coverage
- Versus: Hockey with the Lightning at Capitals and Red Wings at Sharks
The Carolina Panthers made Auburn quarterback Cam Newton the first pick in the 2011 NFL Draft last night. NFL commissioner Roger Goodell was booed at the event.
Take it from Meriden, Connecticut's 42-year-old Vernon Lewis: If at first you don't succeed, fail, fail again. Vernon has been arrested on robbery charges 45 times. Make it 46. Last Friday, Vernon peddled up to a Dunkin' Donuts drive-through window on his bicycle, threatened the clerk, and rode away with a register drawer full of cash. During his attempted getaway, Vernon nearly collided with a police officer and was soon arrested with $321 cash.
1986: Roger Clemens set a major-league baseball record by striking out 20 Seattle Mariners
actress Uma Thurman (Kill Bill, The Producers, Be Cool) 41