10 Questions with ... Gator J. Gaynor
June 27, 2011
BRIEF CAREER SYNOPSIS:
KXRE-A/Colorado Springs, Road Home Productions, Cobra Music/Colorado, Diamante Music Group, KRKS/Denver, Promise Keepers, Freedom Records, WAY-FM, WQZQ/Nashville, Acaza.com, Air 1, Streets Of Gold Internet Station, KXGM/Cedar Rapids, IA
1. What was your first job in the industry?
Overnights at KXRE Colorado Springs in 1988/1989...
2. How does it feel to be on the promotions side of the business?
Familiar. I feel comfortable getting excited about good music and helping get the tunes out to people.
3. What is your favorite part of your job?
Being able to share and talk about good music with people.
4. And your least favorite part?
Not enough time in the day...
5. What are some of the projects or artists you're working with right now?
Rachael Lampa is back with a new album coming out August 2011 and the first single "Remedy" is going to radio now. Living Anthem is recording new material with their first single "We Are Saved" at radio now. The Ambassador has got new songs coming out including "Up Down" featuring Charmaine that radio has in their hands. Benjah will have a new song for radio soon and the Misfits Tour featuring The Ambassador, Da'T.R.U.T.H., Sean Simmonds and others just released the title song "Go Misfit Go." Busy but fun summer!
6. If you were just starting in the music business today, and you knew what you know now, would you continue forward? Why?
Sure, and hopefully make better and wiser decisions in some areas while expanding on the good ones.
7. What does Christian radio need to do to break through to a mass audience on a more consistent basis?
Pay a lot more attention to what the church is listening to. There seems to be this blind mentality that denies how much mainstream music believers listen to. There are a lot of believers who listen only to CCM, but there is a much larger number of those who listen to mainstream music and hardly pay attention to CCM for various reasons.
8. If you could have any other job outside radio or the music industry, what would it be?
Running a small shop of coffees, teas, pastries and snacks in a small community in either Ireland or Wales with my wife, with horses for transportation. [smile]
9. Who inspires you personally, professionally and/or spiritually?
Paul of Tarsus. He worked for his keep, he stuck to his guns when it came to God's love and grace for humanity, and he wasn't afraid to stand strong for his beliefs and get kicked around for them.
10. Fill in the blank: I can't start the day without:
Opening my eyes.