10 Questions with ... Royal Tailor
August 15, 2011
BRIEF CAREER SYNOPSIS:
- Tauren Wells (vocals)
- DJ Cox (guitar)
- Blake Hubbard (bass)
- Jarrod Ingram (drums)
- Essential Records
- Black & White (2011)
1) Introduce the members of the band, using musical background and/or personality traits.
Blake Hubbard: Most likely to spend an one hour in the bathroom
Jarrod Ingram: Most likely to add random "S's" to the end of words
DJ Cox: Most likely to hold a whole conversation with you while he's asleep
Tauren: Most likely to answer random interview questions about the other band members.
2) Can you describe real briefly how you guys became connected to Essential Records?
Leeland actually handed our demo to Jason MacArthur at the listening party for "Love Is On the Move" that they invited us to. The rest is history.
3) What's the story behind the latest single "Hold Me Together"?
"Hold Me Together" is a prayer. Sometimes life is difficult and the struggle leaves us broken. This song is asking God to come to our rescue and fix what we cannot.
4) Is there a specific message or theme behind your Essential Records debut Black & White?
Our record "Black & White" is definitely meant to make a statement. In today's post-modern culture everything seems to be up for discussion. Which is fine. There is nothing wrong with dialogue; in fact we need it. However, the conversation needs to be guided by the compass of the truth of God's word, not merely our personal opinions. The world we live in is now grey and the lines of right and wrong are easily blurred. "Black & White" is meant to inspire a movement of people who will determine that no matter what changes in the world, we'll do out best to do what's right.
5) Do you have any inspiring or humorous stories from recent radio visits?
Not really. [Editor's note: Come on, radio! Give them a story to laugh about in the years to come. We know you have it in you!]
6) We have to know: What's the meaning behind the name? Are you guys just really snappy dressers or is there something more to "Royal Tailor"?
With our name Royal Tailor we give honor to God who is royalty, the King of kings, while acting as a tailor of sorts on our behalf in that he fixes, mends and adjust our lives.
7) Is there a favorite song that you guys (individually or collectively) love?
My favorite record on this album is "Gravity." It was inspired by a message preached by Steven Furtick and a conversation I had with our band pastor Joseph Aaron Giglietti. The very essence of the song is about realizing that "adversity is an opportunity to experience God's glory" (Steven Furtick). The very weight of sin and life struggles that seemingly restrict us actually have given us access to Jesus. It was really an amazing revelation for me, and I wanted to communicate it artistically to people through this song.
8) What have you most looked forward to this summer?
Hanging out at summer camps with students! It's great hearing and sharing stories, leading worship and connecting with so many different people more closely then we typically get to while touring.
9) What song (any song from any time) do you wish you had written?
Hmmm, Tis' So Sweet
10) Do you have much time to check out other artists' music? What are you listening to right now?
Gungor, Reeve Carney and Lupe Fiasco are some artists that I'm really diggin' right now.