10 Questions with ... Shane & Shane
September 19, 2011
BRIEF CAREER SYNOPSIS:
- Shane Barnard
- Shane Everett
- Fair Trade Services
- The Only One You Need (October 2011)
- Everything Is Different (2009)
- Glory in the Highest: A Christmas Record (2008)
- Pages (2007)
- An Evening With Shane & Shane (2005)
- Clean (2004)
- Upstairs (2004)
- Carry Away (2003)
- Psalms (2002)
1) There have been some changes in the lives of the Shanes, including joining your church staff and teaching at the church's ministry leadership school. Do you have a favorite part about being closer to home more these days?
There are a lot of favorites! Community has been a missing piece in our lives for years. We have a church, a small group, people to pour in to, people who pour in to us. It has been life changing and definitely song changing to be a part of our community.
2) Regarding the new album, is there one specific message or theme to the songs?
Yes. JESUS. I guess that could be said about every album we have made, but especially this one. He IS the punch line of every song. He is "the One you need." Because of him, there is "liberty." In Jesus we have the "victory." His "grace is sufficient."
3) How does this album sonically match up to past Shane & Shane albums?
I think we jumped a few steps on this one: either jumped backward or forward, not really sure. We definitely felt the freedom to explore the studio space on this one. Any idea was a good idea. And I think it sounds like it. We wanted it to be fun. We had our friends come up to the studio and we had a blast!
4) What's the story behind the latest single "The One You Need"?
We are new fathers. My wife and I (Shane B) have a little girl (Lucy) and Shane E has two little girls (Olive and Lilly). As the sappiness got thicker and thicker, out came the songs for and about our little girls. We only really want one thing for our babies. We want them to know Jesus: the only One who won't fail them in this world. This song is our heart for them
5) Do you have any inspiring or humorous stories from radio visits, either in recent days or in days gone by?
One time we met with a radio guy who talked to us for a half hour about how much he loved our single. Well, it wasn't our single. We just nodded and smiled. And loved it.
6) Do you have a favorite song on the new album?
I think our favorite song would have to be the first track, "Liberty."
7) Is there a favorite song that you guys love to perform live?
"Liberty." It's a super fun celebration of Jesus and what he has done for us
8) Fill in the blank: I can't start the day without:
9) What song (any song from any time) do you wish you had written?
10) Do you have much time to check out other artists' music? What are you listening to right now?
Freely. Gabe Dixon.