10 Questions with ... Leigh Nash
February 6, 2012
BRIEF CAREER SYNOPSIS:
- Hymns & Sacred Songs (2011)
1. What is the story behind the debut single "Give Myself to You"?
I haven't met her [the songwriter] but it is my understanding that a young college student wrote this one. It is a great song with beautiful words.
2. How did you select the songs to be included on Hymns & Sacred Songs?
I got to pick a few of them and the producer John Hartley chose some as well. I looked through hymnals and on the Internet at old hymn lyrics and picked ones that were most inspiring to write a melody to.
3. And what was it like to create these arrangements?
What a great thing this is to be able to infuse those old beautiful sacred words with newness, with new melodies. The original melodies were very simple but not always easy to sing. For me, these melodies make the words jump up off the page, which makes the words even more meaningful and clear.
4. Do you have a favorite song on the new album?
Yes, my favorite song on the album is "Oh Heart Bereaved and Lonely."
5. Who inspires you personally, spiritually and/or musically?
I've always been inspired by my mother and the way she lives her life. She is the most down to earth, centered person I've ever known.
6. Could you pick favorite hymn of all time?
My favorite hymn of all time is "I Need Thee Every Hour."
7. Where is your favorite place to play?
I love the Northeast: Upstate New York and Pennsylvania.
8. What song do you wish you had written?
"Hallelujah" by Leonard Cohen
9. Fill in the blank: I can't start the day without:
Squeezing my 8-year-old son Henry
10. Do you have much time to check out other artists' music? What are you listening to right now?
I'm listening to an artist called Buika. She's amazing!